Old 28-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Help Help! Chinese Elm

Dear IBCers
I love to read about everyone's method and what works for them and what
to be careful of doing. The diversity of opinions is what makes us THINK
and EXPERIMENT.

For myself, I have saved a lot of trees by using the enclosed plastic
covered milk carton (the metal one that holds about a dozen or so 1/2
gallon containers). I do not puncture the plastic, but I open the flap
once a day to check on the recovery of a tree and to see if it needs
watering, therefore, changing the air in the container....

Best regards to all, and may I wish you all a Happy New Year and may
your cambium layers be green through out the year!

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Henrik Gistvall wrote:

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:

In a message dated 12/28/2003 8:33:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

My poor old guy is sitting in the courtyard under a shade
cloth in a plastic bag

I think the plastic bag is a bad idea. Shade is OK. But you need to
careful with moisture because although heat might be the problem it could also root
rot. How wet is your soil?

I´ve saved a lot of trees (well at least some ;-) with this method, even
those suffering from root rot, of course you must not over water when
the tree is in the bag. And as I stated in my previous post this is very
important for a tree that has lost all leaves. There is a risk that the
soil stays to wet if it was saturated before putting the tree in the
bag. And if I forgot to mention it some small vent holes is a good idea.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++