Old 27-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Nevyn

Default Help Help! Chinese Elm

Hello!
A massive heat wave came through yesterday (40 degrees celcius) and COOKED
my 10 yr old chinese elm. The leaves have shrivled and come crispy and fall
off when u touch them. I wasnt home at the time, otherwise Id have moved
him. He's still green inside, and has tiny green soft branches which havent
dried - will he recover? I soaked him in cool water with root hormones and
feterlizer. Will the leaves recover? Or do I have to wait till next spring?
(He drops and rebuds at spring).
--
Thankyou,
Nevyn

Nevyn E.D.
Veterinary Nurse & Animal Trainer

"The Methods, Principles, And Philosophy Of Canine Behavior
Never Change, Or They'd Not Be Scientific And Would Not Obtain Consistently
Reliable, Fast, Effective Results For All Handler's And All Dogs"

- Jerry Howe
________________________________

Old 27-12-2003, 01:07 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Default [IBC] Help Help! Chinese Elm

Don´t panik. Soaking in cool water is never a good idea and especially
not on a tree that has been stressed. Not so sure about the hormones and
fertilizer either. Scince the tree has lost it´s leaves you should be
careful with the watering, let the soil dry up between waterings. Place
the tree in semi shade. Put a clear plastic bag over it (preferebly with
some sticks in the corners of the pot to avoid the bag laying against
the branches) to keep the humidity high.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Nevyn wrote:

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 27-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Theo

HI 40° celsius? where do you live and which season will be the nextone ?
if the laves dried out you cannot do whatever to green them again..
just cut them and leave the tree rest in a hald shadow fresh and
humid location..
tell us more !
Theo

Old 28-12-2003, 12:32 PM
wsallen

"Nevyn" wrote in message ...
Hello!
A massive heat wave came through yesterday (40 degrees celcius) and COOKED
my 10 yr old chinese elm. The leaves have shrivled and come crispy and

fall
off when u touch them. I wasnt home at the time, otherwise Id have moved
him. He's still green inside, and has tiny green soft branches which

havent
dried - will he recover? I soaked him in cool water with root hormones and
feterlizer. Will the leaves recover? Or do I have to wait till next

spring?
(He drops and rebuds at spring).

Hi Nevyn,

It's a Chinese Elm, you are in .au (so am I - where are you?), they are damn
near indestructable, don't worry.

The fact that the leaves have crisped is a worry (but not a huge one), wait
another day to make sure they are truly dead, then snip them off at the base
of the leaf (not the 'stalk'?). If it's got the new green shoots on it,
unshriveled, then it should be ok.

Move it to dappled shade (ie. not open sun or total shade, but something
that flickers, maybe 50%). If you do not have benches/stands placing the
tree on leaf covered/ground covering foliage ground will be helpful also. Do
NOT over water, eg. stick a wooden paddle pop stick into the soil and only
water when the soil end comes out as very nearly dry.

My C.Elms in Perth have thrived through a month of temps ranging around
40degC and several days of 45degC plus (one of 48.7degC!!). The Trident
Maples were looking a bit crispy round the edges though! lol

Cheers,

Heidi Aussie

Old 28-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Nevyn

Heyyyyyy heidi
Yeh Im in Perth to! Hasn't it been HOT!!!
Not so bad today. My poor old guy is sitting in the courtyard under a shade
cloth in a plastic bag, as suggested. He is still green inside, so i have
hopes. Just curious, will he produce new leaves, or not until the next
spring? Hes not evergreen.

--
Thankyou,
Nevyn

Old 28-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Carl L Rosner

Dear IBCers
I love to read about everyone's method and what works for them and what
to be careful of doing. The diversity of opinions is what makes us THINK
and EXPERIMENT.

For myself, I have saved a lot of trees by using the enclosed plastic
covered milk carton (the metal one that holds about a dozen or so 1/2
gallon containers). I do not puncture the plastic, but I open the flap
once a day to check on the recovery of a tree and to see if it needs
watering, therefore, changing the air in the container....

Best regards to all, and may I wish you all a Happy New Year and may
your cambium layers be green through out the year!

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Henrik Gistvall wrote:

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:

In a message dated 12/28/2003 8:33:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

My poor old guy is sitting in the courtyard under a shade
cloth in a plastic bag

I think the plastic bag is a bad idea. Shade is OK. But you need to
careful with moisture because although heat might be the problem it could also root
rot. How wet is your soil?

I´ve saved a lot of trees (well at least some ;-) with this method, even
those suffering from root rot, of course you must not over water when
the tree is in the bag. And as I stated in my previous post this is very
important for a tree that has lost all leaves. There is a risk that the
soil stays to wet if it was saturated before putting the tree in the
bag. And if I forgot to mention it some small vent holes is a good idea.

Old 28-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Shelly Hurd

Hi Everyone,
I too have used the plastic bag to save the tree scenario, however, NOT when it's 90 or 100 degrees outside. That will only cause the tree to cook in it's own juices. Were it me, it wouldn't be in a plastic bag. Just my .02.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 29-12-2003, 08:02 AM
wsallen

"Nevyn" wrote in message ...
Heyyyyyy heidi
Yeh Im in Perth to! Hasn't it been HOT!!!

does the happy sandgroper dance Why yes I post on a.f.p , why do you ask?

Not to bad today and I can't object to hot weather as I'm a swimming teacher
:+).

Not so bad today. My poor old guy is sitting in the courtyard under a

shade
cloth in a plastic bag, as suggested. He is still green inside, so i have
hopes. Just curious, will he produce new leaves, or not until the next
spring? Hes not evergreen.

Depends on where the plant is in Perth. If it's in Jandakot or somewhere
that gets frosts, the leaves will all drop. But if you are in the suburbs
the warmer temps may see your elm keep most of its leaves (the plant being
in a courtyard will help this also). My elms 'thinned out' their leaves last
winter, but kept most of them.

Your elm should produce new leaves before next spring, not sure how soon
though, maybe 2 weeks?

This is the url for the largest bonsai club in W.A., we meet on the last
Monday of every month at the South Perth Civic Centre (2 meetings can be
attended to check us out before you have to join). Excellent friendly bunch
of people.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~jold/bo...ety/index.html

The site has a list of the bonsai suppliers in W.A. I mainly shop at Western
Bonsai, Brian and Jean are very helpful.

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie