Old 29-12-2003, 05:03 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Default when's the best time to repot a lycaste?

Dormant or as most other orchids, when it's just starting to make new
roots?

I do not truly repot lycastes, but pot up when they need more room.

Usually
this will be when they are starting to make inflorescences as I keep them

tight
in the pot. With this in mind, most of my lycastes get to be quite large.

This
year I divided many of my plants as they were now filling 12in pots. These

were
knocked out of the pots, divided and repotted without cleaning any more

than
what fell off in the process. This was done in the spring when new growth

was
starting, but before the new roots were started.

What mix do you use for them?