Old 29-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] This is winter ??

Let me point out that putting the trees in darkness may not be pertinent.

Dormancy is complicated, and varies from plant to plant, but to a large extent it is triggered by short day length in the fall, and can only be broken by a COLD PERIOD of a given duration (500-2000 hours on average). So a plant that has just gone dormant
cannot be easily brought out of it by moving it into a warm room or being subjected to light.

I'm just a couple hours away from you, and so far my trees haven't had much exposure to cold, but enough that I think they are genuinely dormant. So I wonder if your trees ever really went dormant. The problem with putting them in a shed is that they may
only have been exposed to conditions that lead to "pre-dormancy", which is easily reversed.

Of course, you want to know what to do *now*. You could do nothing; trees are often fooled into breaking bud early, and they suffer die-back, but survive.
-Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++