Old 30-12-2003, 12:02 AM
J Fortuna

Default Happy Holidays! (and a sale, too)

Ok, I had a bit more time to research this issue myself ... trying to find
out where I could have gotten this strange idea that phal bellina might like
less light, but instead I managed to find a post that suggests that "Phal
violacea can handle more light than your typical Phal hybrid"
http://tinyurl.com/2gpj2 (or
URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...TF-8&oe=UTF-8&
selm=68p2cb%243d5%40mtinsc04.worldnet.att.net) + the biggest difference in
culture that a lot of sites mention is that unlike most Phals phal violacea
or phal bellina do not like temperature flactuations, and then there is of
course the issue of not cutting the spike when it is done flowering.

I guess my original memory was wrong, and I am glad to have it corrected.
Thank you Ray and Deg for your help!

Joanna

"Dewitt" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:45:12 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Since you are in the process of selling phal bellinas, could you remind

me
what the difference in cultural requirements is between phal bellinas and
most other Phals. I recall reading that they would want a bit less light

think, and maybe more humidity (?), but I forget. I am sure that all who
have or are about to order a bellina from you will appreciate this advice

as
well.

Since I ordered one of these from Ray, your question got me wondering
so I did a web search. This is typical of what I found:
http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spec.asp?PRecno=465

Nothing I saw said they needed lower light levels. However, a number
of sites stated they did best potted in sphagnum which may relate to
your recollection that then need more humidity.

FYI, I ran across pricing for these guys while I was looking for
culture info. Ray's price with his current discount is less than 1/2
the lowest price I saw for blooming size plants.

deg