Old 24-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Ray

Default Happy Holidays! (and a sale, too)

Good folks,

I'm about to grab some dinner and head off to sing at midnight service
tonight, but I wanted to take a moment and wish the very best of the season
to each and every one of you, and thank you for your participation here, and
the support you've given First Rays. May you and yours have a healthy,
safe, and bountiful 2004.

Now for the "peddling" part of the post:

Unfortunately (for me), the lunacy associated with severe "orchidaholism"
led me to acquire a lot more Phal bellina plants than I really have room
for, so I need to unload them soon. These are blooming-size (almost all
have old spikes), seed grown plants from good breeding stock, pulled from 4"
pots, having leaf spans anywhere from 8" to 14". I just added them to the
list today, and while I was at it, I decided to offer a 25% discount on all
plants through 12/30.

If you're interested, visit "The Store" via the URL below.

Happy Holidays from all of the Barkalows - Michele, Ray, Sara and me!

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 29-12-2003, 03:26 AM
J Fortuna

Ray,

Hope your holidays went well, and happy new year.

Since you are in the process of selling phal bellinas, could you remind me
what the difference in cultural requirements is between phal bellinas and
most other Phals. I recall reading that they would want a bit less light I
think, and maybe more humidity (?), but I forget. I am sure that all who
have or are about to order a bellina from you will appreciate this advice as
well.

Thanks,
Joanna

"Ray" wrote in message
news
Unfortunately (for me), the lunacy associated with severe "orchidaholism"
led me to acquire a lot more Phal bellina plants than I really have room
for, so I need to unload them soon. These are blooming-size (almost all
have old spikes), seed grown plants from good breeding stock, pulled from
4"
pots, having leaf spans anywhere from 8" to 14". I just added them to the
list today, and while I was at it, I decided to offer a 25% discount on

all
plants through 12/30.

If you're interested, visit "The Store" via the URL below.

Happy Holidays from all of the Barkalows - Michele, Ray, Sara and me!

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 29-12-2003, 09:12 PM
Ray

Joanna,

I treat them the same, but all of mine are in very humid conditions.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Ray,

Hope your holidays went well, and happy new year.

Since you are in the process of selling phal bellinas, could you remind me
what the difference in cultural requirements is between phal bellinas and
most other Phals. I recall reading that they would want a bit less light I
think, and maybe more humidity (?), but I forget. I am sure that all who
have or are about to order a bellina from you will appreciate this advice

as
well.

Thanks,
Joanna

news

Old 29-12-2003, 10:36 PM
Dewitt

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:45:12 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Since you are in the process of selling phal bellinas, could you remind me
what the difference in cultural requirements is between phal bellinas and
most other Phals. I recall reading that they would want a bit less light I
think, and maybe more humidity (?), but I forget. I am sure that all who
have or are about to order a bellina from you will appreciate this advice as
well.

Since I ordered one of these from Ray, your question got me wondering
so I did a web search. This is typical of what I found:
http://www.orchidweb.com/dtl_spec.asp?PRecno=465

Nothing I saw said they needed lower light levels. However, a number
of sites stated they did best potted in sphagnum which may relate to
your recollection that then need more humidity.

FYI, I ran across pricing for these guys while I was looking for
culture info. Ray's price with his current discount is less than 1/2
the lowest price I saw for blooming size plants.

deg
Old 30-12-2003, 12:02 AM
J Fortuna

Ok, I had a bit more time to research this issue myself ... trying to find
out where I could have gotten this strange idea that phal bellina might like
less light, but instead I managed to find a post that suggests that "Phal
violacea can handle more light than your typical Phal hybrid"
http://tinyurl.com/2gpj2 (or
URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...TF-8&oe=UTF-8&
selm=68p2cb%243d5%40mtinsc04.worldnet.att.net) + the biggest difference in
culture that a lot of sites mention is that unlike most Phals phal violacea
or phal bellina do not like temperature flactuations, and then there is of
course the issue of not cutting the spike when it is done flowering.

I guess my original memory was wrong, and I am glad to have it corrected.
Thank you Ray and Deg for your help!

Joanna

Old 30-12-2003, 09:02 AM
Claude

Hello Ray!

happy holiday to you too!

I`m just sad I can`t order plant from you because of the paperwork etc...

Claude

"Ray" wrote in message
news | Good folks,

| I'm about to grab some dinner and head off to sing at midnight service
| tonight, but I wanted to take a moment and wish the very best of the
season
| to each and every one of you, and thank you for your participation here,
and
| the support you've given First Rays. May you and yours have a healthy,
| safe, and bountiful 2004.
|
| Now for the "peddling" part of the post:
|
| Unfortunately (for me), the lunacy associated with severe "orchidaholism"
| led me to acquire a lot more Phal bellina plants than I really have room
| for, so I need to unload them soon. These are blooming-size (almost all
| have old spikes), seed grown plants from good breeding stock, pulled from
4"
| pots, having leaf spans anywhere from 8" to 14". I just added them to the
| list today, and while I was at it, I decided to offer a 25% discount on
all
| plants through 12/30.
|
| If you're interested, visit "The Store" via the URL below.
|
| Happy Holidays from all of the Barkalows - Michele, Ray, Sara and me!
| --
|
| Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids - www.firstrays.com
| Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, and Lots of Free Info!

happy, happy, happy David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 1 12-01-2010 06:32 AM
Happy Holidays Jerrispond Ponds 8 21-12-2003 08:42 PM
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday... Reka Orchids 4 05-04-2003 11:32 PM
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Allegra Roses 0 23-01-2003 08:22 AM