Old 30-12-2003, 06:32 PM
animaux

Default Growing Herbs

Since we've only had 21 inches of water this year, I had to water my garden,
today. I hand water because it is such a waste to use sprinklers in any wind,
and it's windy. Anyway, to my surprise, the red admiral butterflies are
sipping from the lantanas WHICH ARE STILL BLOOMING! The parsley is fabulous is
the rosemary, thyme and believe it or not, basil. I have tomatoes in the
greenhouse and they are producing amazingly well for greenhouse growing. I'm
not all that proficient at growing vegetables.

This year it is my idea to have nothing but herbs on the north side of my pool.
It's a raised bed with sandy soil brought in when they built the pool. I
already have a bay laurel there, and I have another in the greenhouse waiting to
be planted.

Yes, this year will be the year of the herbs.

Victoria

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:07:59 GMT, Phisherman opined:

I agree. The herbs grown in full sun have a much better flavor than
those in a south window. There are a few herbs that will grow in part
sun and produce a good flavor. My advise is to pick the sunniest,
driest (well drained) area in your yard and plant herbs there. Most
don't need much space and seem to grow better on neglect than care.
Recently, I have been harvesting fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley for
winter-time soups.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:24:04 GMT, animaux wrote:

Most herbs require full sun, not from an indoor southern window, but outside in
full blasting hot sun. Your attempt will most likely not be satisfactory, but
you can try.

On 29 Dec 2003 13:22:10 -0800, (Jane) opined:

Hello,

I would like to grow some herbs indoors.

Could anyone recommend how I should go about this, and how I could
maintain a ready supply of the herbs throughout the year.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Regards

Jane