Old 29-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Jane

Default Growing Herbs

Hello,

I would like to grow some herbs indoors.

Could anyone recommend how I should go about this, and how I could
maintain a ready supply of the herbs throughout the year.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Regards

Jane

Old 30-12-2003, 02:32 AM
zhanataya

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:39:53 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Is this one of those Cheech & Chong type questions?

LMAO zhan
Old 30-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Jane" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I would like to grow some herbs indoors.

Could anyone recommend how I should go about this, and how I could
maintain a ready supply of the herbs throughout the year.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Regards

Jane

All joking aside, growing herbs indoors is not a very satisfactory method.
Most houses have insufficient light and humidity for these plants to thrive
long term and most herbs become large, mostly woody plants in time, not
conducive to windowsill pot growth.

I see you are posting from the UK. Provided you live in a temperate portion
of that country, you should be able to grow a pretty wide selection of herbs
outdoors year round. The climate in my zone 8 Pacific Northwest garden
should be very similar to much of that of Britain and I enjoy rosemary,
sage, oregano, thyme, marjoram, and chives year round. Parsley is present in
all but the coldest parts of winter and basil is a summer annual.

pam - gardengal

Old 30-12-2003, 01:12 PM
J Kolenovsky

Pam, thank you for your sensibility. No joke.

Pam - gardengal wrote:
=

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 30-12-2003, 02:32 PM
animaux

Most herbs require full sun, not from an indoor southern window, but outside in
full blasting hot sun. Your attempt will most likely not be satisfactory, but
you can try.

On 29 Dec 2003 13:22:10 -0800, (Jane) opined:

Old 30-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Phisherman

I agree. The herbs grown in full sun have a much better flavor than
those in a south window. There are a few herbs that will grow in part
sun and produce a good flavor. My advise is to pick the sunniest,
driest (well drained) area in your yard and plant herbs there. Most
don't need much space and seem to grow better on neglect than care.
Recently, I have been harvesting fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley for
winter-time soups.

Old 30-12-2003, 06:32 PM
animaux

Since we've only had 21 inches of water this year, I had to water my garden,
today. I hand water because it is such a waste to use sprinklers in any wind,
and it's windy. Anyway, to my surprise, the red admiral butterflies are
sipping from the lantanas WHICH ARE STILL BLOOMING! The parsley is fabulous is
the rosemary, thyme and believe it or not, basil. I have tomatoes in the
greenhouse and they are producing amazingly well for greenhouse growing. I'm
not all that proficient at growing vegetables.

This year it is my idea to have nothing but herbs on the north side of my pool.
It's a raised bed with sandy soil brought in when they built the pool. I
already have a bay laurel there, and I have another in the greenhouse waiting to
be planted.

Yes, this year will be the year of the herbs.

Victoria

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:07:59 GMT, Phisherman opined:

Old 01-01-2004, 01:12 AM
madgardener

ZHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy New year sugar! Great to see yer post
response!! (Damon just got back from Jamaca.........gbseg) brought me a
postcard and some beautiful Chinese chopsticks and a beautiful carved red
Chinese dragon he found in the French Quarters when he jumped ship in Port
N'Awlins..............how ya been?????
news

Old 02-01-2004, 01:09 AM
zhanataya

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:02:40 -0500, "madgardener" madgard@fairies
live herevic.com wrote:

ZHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy New year sugar! Great to see yer post
response!! (Damon just got back from Jamaca.........gbseg) brought me a
postcard and some beautiful Chinese chopsticks and a beautiful carved red
Chinese dragon he found in the French Quarters when he jumped ship in Port
N'Awlins..............how ya been?????

A happy and healthy new year to you also. I'm doing fine, putting in
a lot of hours though. Once in a while I have time to drop in and do
a bit of lurking.

A toast to all on the village corner. Hope you all had a good
Christmas and/or whichever holiday you celebrate.

zhan

Growing Herbs Jane Edible Gardening 13 14-01-2004 06:02 PM
Growing Herbs/ Chia pets? Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 03-01-2004 09:02 AM
Growing Herbs Jebediah Kornworthy Lawns 7 19-09-2003 07:04 AM
Growing Herbs Jebediah Kornworthy Roses 11 19-09-2003 07:03 AM
growing herbs miklol United Kingdom 2 05-05-2003 11:56 AM