Old 01-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Jane VR

Default palmed off

twisted IRONy wrote:
Hi folks,

Last year we moved into a new home with very heavy clay soil, and
transplanted all the plants we'd nurtured in pots while the house was being
built. Just before the start of spring, I was sure that all the palms we'd
planted were surely going to die, as the leaves were browned off from being
burnt the previous summer.

However, after pruning the palms in the sheer hope of "forcing" some new
growth, spring arrived and blessed us with new shoots. They're doing fine,
but some of the old palm leaves that I'd left have brown spots on them. The
spots don't look like the normal "sunburnt" effect, but some kind of
infestation.

Any idea what they are and how to treat them? The types of palms we have are
a mixture of Alexandria, Bangalow and Cocos, and only one of these types
remains unaffected, but quite frankly, I can't remember which type it is, as
we purchased the older ones a decade ago. These older ones even withstood
transplantation into very large pots a year or so before our move, and have
even tolerated a couple of moves (unlike our bouganvillea, which I've
discovered DON'T like to have their roots rooted!)

Thanking you in advance for your advice,

Casey

Could be scale insects if the spots are bumpy. Spray with white oil or
pestoil.

Jane