Old 26-12-2003, 08:34 AM
twisted IRONy

Default palmed off

Hi folks,

Last year we moved into a new home with very heavy clay soil, and
transplanted all the plants we'd nurtured in pots while the house was being
built. Just before the start of spring, I was sure that all the palms we'd
planted were surely going to die, as the leaves were browned off from being
burnt the previous summer.

However, after pruning the palms in the sheer hope of "forcing" some new
growth, spring arrived and blessed us with new shoots. They're doing fine,
but some of the old palm leaves that I'd left have brown spots on them. The
spots don't look like the normal "sunburnt" effect, but some kind of
infestation.

Any idea what they are and how to treat them? The types of palms we have are
a mixture of Alexandria, Bangalow and Cocos, and only one of these types
remains unaffected, but quite frankly, I can't remember which type it is, as
we purchased the older ones a decade ago. These older ones even withstood
transplantation into very large pots a year or so before our move, and have
even tolerated a couple of moves (unlike our bouganvillea, which I've
discovered DON'T like to have their roots rooted!)

Thanking you in advance for your advice,

Casey

Old 27-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Chris Bee

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 08:08:28 GMT,"twisted IRONy" posted ...

Last year we moved into a new home with very heavy clay soil, and
transplanted all the plants we'd nurtured in pots while the house was being
built. Just before the start of spring, I was sure that all the palms we'd
planted were surely going to die, as the leaves were browned off from being
burnt the previous summer.

However, after pruning the palms in the sheer hope of "forcing" some new
growth, spring arrived and blessed us with new shoots. They're doing fine,
but some of the old palm leaves that I'd left have brown spots on them. The
spots don't look like the normal "sunburnt" effect, but some kind of
infestation.

Any idea what they are and how to treat them?

Sorry.

Try cutting off new palm leaves that have brown spots on them.
If regrowth also have brown spots cut them off too.

Because you moved into a new home, you might get better assistance by
contacting your local gardening centre.
--

Chris

Old 29-12-2003, 01:02 PM
twisted IRONy

Try cutting off new palm leaves that have brown spots on them.
If regrowth also have brown spots cut them off too.

Because you moved into a new home, you might get better assistance by
contacting your local gardening centre.
--

Chris

Thanks Chris, maybe I should find out. We only moved 4 blocks, and from
where we moved, my former neighbour's palms are looking just spectacular. By
the same token, he's also got 3 very large gum trees providing shade for
everything below, but I'm wondering if it's some sort of bug. I'll take up
your advice on contacting someone locally!

Casey

Old 01-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Jane VR

twisted IRONy wrote:
[...]

Could be scale insects if the spots are bumpy. Spray with white oil or
pestoil.

Jane