Old 01-01-2004, 02:15 PM
John Towill

Default Fly Away and similar carrots supposedly resistant to root fly

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:54 +0000 (GMT), Steve Harris wrote:

Do these actually work?

Maybe someone has got a successful crop where other varieties failed? Or
maybe a horror story of a resistant variety riddled?

I sowed flyaway in 2002, and the pests did everything except fly away with
them, though for all the use I had from them they might as well have. In
2003 I sowed under enviromesh, that certainly kept the crop disease free,
but it is a pain in the a**.
I watched the Gardeners World BBC prog. about allotments where the chap
kept them away by "earthing" up his carrots, but I really could not
understand the process.
Cheers
John T

--
All emails and attachments are virus checked
with Norton before transmission.