Old 01-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Djay

Default Standpipe or something else?

"Kudzu" wrote in message
Building a new home and I will have a 6 foot long tank in it. Probably a
125G but possibly a 150G. The tank will sit with one short end on
the wall leaving both long sides and one short side open. I have imagined
this for a long time but it's time to stop daydreaming and start doing

some
serious planning.

Due to the fact that three sides are exposed I am trying to decide on how

plumb the tank. Oceanic offers a ready made solution in it's Reef Ready
line. They have a single overflow box installed in one corner. While the
overflow box would be exposed it wouldn't be that noticeable because of
where it is is. Problem is that the Oceanic tank is a roughly a grand!
($1000). While one from All Glass is roughly $500. Problem is All Glass

has
no overflow but All Glass will drill it for me. They have a tank with 2
overflow boxes but they are in both corners and that is just not an

option.

So I was thinking of ordering a drilled All Glass and installing a

standpipe
for the overflow. I can disguise it with plants and/or cover it with
rocks.My concern is noise. From what I read they standpipes can be very
noisy.

Option two is overflow box(es). Problem is is has to fit on one narrow end
(24"). I am building my hood and stand, so I was thinking I could make the
stand 6" longer than the tank and just build something that would butt
against the wall and hide the overflows in there. But I really don't like
the way it would look.

I am looking for other options. I have considered having the tank drilled
and building my own corner overflow out of glass and siliconeing them in
place. I am concerned about cutting notches in glass and I don't know if I
could silicone acrylic to glass? Maybe there is way to silence standpipes?
Or another option that I have not thought of? Would love to hear some

ideas.

--
Kudzu *\\
The man that always tells the truth never has to remember what he said

First of all I'm jealous with envy... but my 75 gal will have to suffice
for now!

The 3 sided view will be awesome!

If you have either overflows or a standpipe, you will have noise....
I agree that the overflow boxes would be unsightly and if you build a
"hidden compartment" at the end of the short side to conceal the overflows
then you may have servicing issues (unless the access would be unhindered).

I personally like the idea of a standpipe and keeping them quiet (as well as
keeping overflow boxes silent) is definitely a trick. I experimented
quieting mine with prefilter sponges and adjusting the opening with various
items like a plastic golf ball (one with all the holes). Problem is that
with bacteria growth and sponge flow changes (due to debris etc) the pipe
*always* seemed to require some tweaking to keep it *silent*.

I finally gave up on that system and sold it off (tank sump and all). I now
have a Canister Filter... the silence is deafening!

Personally, I'd opt for the short side hide box and run Canister intake and
outflow tubes there.

My 2 pennies,

DJay