Old 02-01-2004, 01:19 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] A successful Branch Repair

About three months ago I was pruning an Ilex vomitoria
"Schillings" and a
branch broke. I took some raffia, soaked it in warm water and

worked it flat.
Then I wrapped the branch with two layers of raffia.
Today I took the raffia off and the branch has healed.
It is only about 1/4 to 3/8 diameter and broke about 1/2 way

through.
Billy

Not healed. Not really. What you have is a VERY thin layer of
cambium and bark that has grown over the break. The break is
still there and *always* will be, though the mend will slowly
grow thicker and thicker -- maybe too thick.

A broken branch doesn't "heal" like a broken arm.

Billy, I know YOU knew this, but I'm certain there were others
here who didn't and might have assumed wrong with the word
"heal."

Repair is a better word -- and you used it in the subject. :-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++