Old 02-01-2004, 02:58 AM
Iggie

Default earthquake...

Did you mean just glass ones (I hope )

"luminos" wrote in message
I was, at the time, two miles from the epicenter of the Northridge
earthquake. ALL aquaria within 10-15 miles were completely devestated, no
matter what was done to protect them.

The pressure of the water in resonance causes the elasticity max. of the
tank material to be exceeded, and they shatter completely.

It took four years before any aquaria stores re-opened...they were all new
firms...all the old ones went under.

Be glad you were not closer to the epicenter.

"Djay" wrote in message
Our California central coast earthquake today had an interesting effect

on
my aquarium...
I was fortunate to be home (11:15 a.m. local) when it happened because

there
was at least 3 gal of water that sloshed out of my 75 gal. I keep it

filled
nearly to the top and it got moving really good. The side to side

motion
must have created pretty good waves and the water went all over the

parquet
floor. Guess from now on I will only fill it to about within an inch of

the
top. Power was off for about 25 minutes.
10 gal in the garage lost about a gallon of water.

Fish all fine.
Plants all fine.
Spilled water all dried up.
Heart rate back to "normal"