Old 23-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Djay

Default earthquake...

Our California central coast earthquake today had an interesting effect on
my aquarium...
I was fortunate to be home (11:15 a.m. local) when it happened because there
was at least 3 gal of water that sloshed out of my 75 gal. I keep it filled
nearly to the top and it got moving really good. The side to side motion
must have created pretty good waves and the water went all over the parquet
floor. Guess from now on I will only fill it to about within an inch of the
top. Power was off for about 25 minutes.
10 gal in the garage lost about a gallon of water.

Fish all fine.
Plants all fine.
Spilled water all dried up.
Heart rate back to "normal"

DJay

Old 23-12-2003, 06:42 AM
Eric Schreiber

"Djay" wrote:

Our California central coast earthquake today had an
interesting effect on my aquarium...

I was in a very minor earthquake some years ago in central northern
Illinois. I was in a second floor apartment, and the only reason I
even noticed the quake was my tanks sloshing around.

Fish all fine.
Plants all fine.
Spilled water all dried up.
Heart rate back to "normal"

One of these days California is going to be hit by a big one, and
everything east of the fault will sink into the Atlantic.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 23-12-2003, 07:02 AM
Djay

The USGS claims that the mountain range was uplifted about a foot today. So
if anything we're "moving up" in the world... ha ha.

Old 23-12-2003, 08:35 AM

Never felt a thing here... But that was a decent one, big shaker
apparently..If I was sitting by my tanks I might have noticed some movement,
I don't recall if my dogs started to bark around that time eithier... My
wife never mentioned anything about feeling a quake this morning eithier..
Generally she mentions something just before we shake.. Perhaps I should
drain my tanks a bit, as this might not be the last one for now...

Tim... Cdn's in Cali..

Old 25-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Djay

Felt two aftershocks, one yesterday and one today. Seems like all is
settled now. I'm definitely going to leave a little space at the top of my
aquarium from now on.

DJay

ink.net...

Old 29-12-2003, 07:33 AM
luminos

I was, at the time, two miles from the epicenter of the Northridge
earthquake. ALL aquaria within 10-15 miles were completely devestated, no
matter what was done to protect them.

The pressure of the water in resonance causes the elasticity max. of the
tank material to be exceeded, and they shatter completely.

It took four years before any aquaria stores re-opened...they were all new
firms...all the old ones went under.

Be glad you were not closer to the epicenter.

Old 03-01-2004, 03:32 AM
luminos

"Iggie" wrote in message
m...
Did you mean just glass ones (I hope )

No....all the acrylic shattered completely....including all of mine.

Old 13-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Cichlidiot

In alt.aquaria luminos wrote:
I was, at the time, two miles from the epicenter of the Northridge
earthquake. ALL aquaria within 10-15 miles were completely devestated, no
matter what was done to protect them.

The pressure of the water in resonance causes the elasticity max. of the
tank material to be exceeded, and they shatter completely.

It took four years before any aquaria stores re-opened...they were all new
firms...all the old ones went under.

Be glad you were not closer to the epicenter.

Well, as I remember it, the Northridge quake had unusual characteristics
for its "strength" on the traditional scale. I seem to remember in hearing
the reports say that these unusual characteristics (something about
upwards force as I remember it) caused it to be "stronger" than the scale
number would indicate. That, combined with it being in a majorly populated
area, was probably why it was so devistating. It's probably not something
of concern in all earthquakes, just those that share those vital
characteristics.
Old 15-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Djay

I came to a similar conclusion. If the rolling would have been of a larger
magnitude, my 75 gal would have exploded. The wave action was tremendous
and frightening to watch.

DJay