Old 02-01-2004, 03:12 AM
SJE

Default Good Shade Tree - Houston

I'm about to move into my new house in NW Houston, TX...and I would
like some advice for a good shade tree or two to plant in my back
yard. It will likely get lots of sun and water.

Criteria/needs as below...

1) Would like it to eventually serve as a screen for my 2nd floor
bonus room, as land behind my back fence may eventually become
commericial and unsightly.

2) I don't want the roots to be a risk to my foundation or pipes that
may be underground. The tree will likely be planted 10-15 ft from my
house and maybe 5-10 ft from underground lines.

3) Hardy. I don't think I have a green thumb. I can make sure it
has enough water, but I want a tree that would be tough to kill.

4) Fast growing a plus, though can be sacrificed for the above. I
don't want to wait endless years for it to look like a tree and not a
twig in the ground, though.

5) A tree that attracted wildlife (squirrels, birds, etc) might be
nice as a bonus....though bottom of the list of importance.

Based on my current googling of these groups...I was thinking maybe a
Freeman or Red Maple. Do those grow well in steamy Houston? Any sort
of oak that would work well?

One last thing, how BIG could I buy a tree that I am looking for? I'd
rather get off on a running start and would like to plant the largest
tree possible with the above criteria for up to 2-300 dollars. Where
would I go for something like this?