Old 02-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Good Shade Tree - Houston

"SJE" wrote in message
I'm about to move into my new house in NW Houston, TX...and I would
like some advice for a good shade tree or two to plant in my back
yard. It will likely get lots of sun and water.

Criteria/needs as below...

1) Would like it to eventually serve as a screen for my 2nd floor
bonus room, as land behind my back fence may eventually become
commericial and unsightly.

2) I don't want the roots to be a risk to my foundation or pipes that
may be underground. The tree will likely be planted 10-15 ft from my
house and maybe 5-10 ft from underground lines.

3) Hardy. I don't think I have a green thumb. I can make sure it
has enough water, but I want a tree that would be tough to kill.

4) Fast growing a plus, though can be sacrificed for the above. I
don't want to wait endless years for it to look like a tree and not a
twig in the ground, though.

5) A tree that attracted wildlife (squirrels, birds, etc) might be
nice as a bonus....though bottom of the list of importance.

Based on my current googling of these groups...I was thinking maybe a
Freeman or Red Maple. Do those grow well in steamy Houston? Any sort
of oak that would work well?

Neither of those maples are particularly well adapted to Tecas heat, nor do
they tend to be very drought tolerant. Shantung maple (Acer truncatum) is a
btter choice - far more heat and drought tolerant - also a hybrid maple with
A. truncatum in its parentage, Acer x 'Warrenred' (also sold as 'Pacific
Sunset') shows good results in hot, dry climates. Tupelo or Nyssa sylvatica
would be another good choice. All get great fall color.

Lots of oaks will do well : bur oak, chinquapin, water oak, Shumard and live
oak are all trees recommended for Texas gardens.

Couple of other points - fast growing trees tend to be not very long-lived.
Most trees will put on1-3 feet of growth annually once established. Anything
faster than that and you probably have a trash tree or one that will develop
significant problems. Patience is necessary or purchase a large enough
specimen initially. Also, 10-15 feet from the house maybe a little close for
any of these trees. Make sure it is planted far enough away from any
structure so that the mature canopy will be unobstructed - better for the
tree, less change of storm damage, leaf /litter build up or branches
scraping the siding or roof.

pam - gardengal