Old 02-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] A successful Branch Repair

Iris,
Great point. I too have "saved the branch" only to knock it off two years
later.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
About three months ago I was pruning an Ilex vomitoria "Schillings" and a
branch broke. I took some raffia, soaked it in warm water and worked it flat.
Then I wrapped the branch with two layers of raffia. Today I took the raffia
off and the branch has healed.

You can also use cut paste and florist's tape. However, don't forget that a
tree doesn't heal inside like a broken bone. The heartwood will be broken
forever. The only part that heals is the cambium, and whatever wood is made
subsequently. That branch will always be weak, & if you ever have to wire it
you must be extra careful. I can't tell you how many times I have saved a
cracked branch, only to have it get knocked off a year later from a slight
bump.
Iris,

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++