Old 03-01-2004, 01:02 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Best way to get grass the shade in Atlanta now

This may not be a grass for you but it sounds so interesting I thought
I'd make you aware of it.
Seashore paspalum.
http://www.sptimes.com/News/072301/T..._turn_ou.shtml

Josh Kalish wrote:
=

Hi,
=

I have a home in Atlanta. The lawn pretty much torn up because of the =

work
that has been ongoing on the property. Most of the lawn is just plain =

soil
now. The lawn gets little direct sunlight, maybe a few hours a day. I=

am
pretty bad at maintaining a lawn. I'm frequently out of town, so the l=

awn
should be pretty resillient. I've heard three recomendations from sod
placed and from this group:
=

St. Augstine: Good in the shade, but won't handle the winter. I may n=

ot be
able to instal it now.
=

Fescue: Good in the shade, but very delicate. Someone who is frequently=

away
may not be able to keep it alive, especially in the summer.
=

Zoysia: Good year-round and OK for the shade, but may not be able to in=

stall
it now.
=

Are there any other options? I really would like to put something down=

but
I can't figure out what to do.
=

Thanks,