Old 05-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Les Dowdell

Default [IBC] Japanese Elm - Evergreen ?

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 04:08:18 +0900, SG wrote:

"Jon" wrote
Hi,

I've been given a Japanese Elm bonsai for christmas and is supposed to
be an indoor specimen. The tree is about 10" high and has a nice
'corkscrew' trunk so I assume its quite a mature specimen.

I'm just puzzled if the tree really will survive indoors. Its the
middle of winter here in the UK, but the tree still has all its
leaves. At the moment I have it on a kitchen window that gets full sun
and I mist everyday.

Any help would be appreciated.
Its a nice tree and I want it to be happy ;-)

Jon.

Hello Jon,

Try this site for information concerning Japanese elms, just in case that
is really what you have been given.

http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/aginfo/...k/th-3-115.pdf

As the information at that site indicates, Japanese elms are not
evergreens and should normally be kept outside (hardy for USDA Zone 2). If
someone has told you that your tree is evergreen, then either they do not
know anything about Japanese elms or it has been mis-named.

The leaves of Japanese elms can be reduced to less than 1 cm in length
with only a little bit of work. Full size trees are somewhat asymetric in
their growth but bonsai training can easily overcome this tendency.

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell
In zone 3A where Japanese elms can grow comfortably.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++