Old 05-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Becca

Default Growing Herbs

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:55:39 GMT, "Norma J. Briggs" nbriggs@(NO
SPAM)houston.rr.com wrote:

"Jane" wrote

Hello, I live in a first floor flat and I would like to grow some
herbs for cooking.

Could anyone please recommend any herbs that would be suitable for
growing indoors. The flat does not have a balcony and there is not
much room on the window sills.

Basil, Chives and Dill would grow nicely indoors, will need nice light
though-in fact I prefer to grow my Dill in a pot since some bug/critter in
my yard eats the stalks clean before I can every harvest any!

Basil is the *last* thing I would try to grow indoors, much less in
this stated low-light situation.

So in a couple of old spaghetti jars, I grew basil, cilantro, mint and
lavendar. The basil and cilantro did really well, even with indirect
light. Mint, obnoxious weed that it is, never sprouted. The lavendar
really never took off either.

The basil and cilantro both put up with not being watered for over a
week at a time when I had to leave for work. They both did really
well and the basil even survived the time where I dug up the roots to
try and "split" my plants. I still have the basil and it made the
trek from California to Colorado with me.

Basil does need good light and it is worth shoving on a window sill.
One way to increase your window space is by putting a small, narrow
shelf in the area (those ones you see for showers with the sticky
attachments so you can stick them to the window are awesome). Find
one with narrow grid/supports and a lot of height.

The cilantro was not nearly as picky about light but it wasn't happy
about having the roots dug up.

Good luck with growing herbs in your space. I found it to work out
well and I was pleased with how forgiving my plants were.

~becca