Old 29-12-2003, 09:39 PM
Jane

Default Growing Herbs

Hello, I live in a first floor flat and I would like to grow some
herbs for cooking.

Could anyone please recommend any herbs that would be suitable for
growing indoors. The flat does not have a balcony and there is not
much room on the window sills.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Regards

Jane
Old 30-12-2003, 03:32 AM
Long John

You can use a "Growlamp" for indoor lighting. I grew herbs in an apartment
for a few years like that.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old 01-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Andy Hunt

They eat the electricity though ;-)

Andrew

"Long John" wrote in message
You can use a "Growlamp" for indoor lighting. I grew herbs in an apartment
for a few years like that.

http://www.uncensored-news.com
The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old 03-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Norma J. Briggs

Basil, Chives and Dill would grow nicely indoors, will need nice light
though-in fact I prefer to grow my Dill in a pot since some bug/critter in
my yard eats the stalks clean before I can every harvest any!
"Jane" wrote in message
om...
Hello, I live in a first floor flat and I would like to grow some
herbs for cooking.

Could anyone please recommend any herbs that would be suitable for
growing indoors. The flat does not have a balcony and there is not
much room on the window sills.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Regards

Jane

---

Old 03-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:55:39 GMT, "Norma J. Briggs" nbriggs@(NO
SPAM)houston.rr.com wrote:

"Jane" wrote

Hello, I live in a first floor flat and I would like to grow some
herbs for cooking.

Could anyone please recommend any herbs that would be suitable for
growing indoors. The flat does not have a balcony and there is not
much room on the window sills.

Basil, Chives and Dill would grow nicely indoors, will need nice light
though-in fact I prefer to grow my Dill in a pot since some bug/critter in
my yard eats the stalks clean before I can every harvest any!

Basil is the *last* thing I would try to grow indoors, much less in
this stated low-light situation.

BTW, look for swallowtail catepillars on your dill. They *love* dill
and parsley...or carrot tops if absolutely necessary. It may be
possible to pick 'em off and deposit on a 'food plant' if you like the
butterflies; oitherwise, judicious inspection and removal will keep
your dill from complete devourement.

Old 05-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Tim Tyler

Frogleg wrote or quoted:
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:55:39 GMT, "Norma J. Briggs":

Basil, Chives and Dill would grow nicely indoors, will need nice light
though - [...]

Basil is the *last* thing I would try to grow indoors, much less in
this stated low-light situation.

Basil does like light - but otherwise is quite happy indoors.
--
__________
Old 05-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Becca

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:55:39 GMT, "Norma J. Briggs" nbriggs@(NO
SPAM)houston.rr.com wrote:

"Jane" wrote

Hello, I live in a first floor flat and I would like to grow some
herbs for cooking.

Could anyone please recommend any herbs that would be suitable for
growing indoors. The flat does not have a balcony and there is not
much room on the window sills.

Basil, Chives and Dill would grow nicely indoors, will need nice light
though-in fact I prefer to grow my Dill in a pot since some bug/critter in
my yard eats the stalks clean before I can every harvest any!

Basil is the *last* thing I would try to grow indoors, much less in
this stated low-light situation.

So in a couple of old spaghetti jars, I grew basil, cilantro, mint and
lavendar. The basil and cilantro did really well, even with indirect
light. Mint, obnoxious weed that it is, never sprouted. The lavendar
really never took off either.

The basil and cilantro both put up with not being watered for over a
week at a time when I had to leave for work. They both did really
well and the basil even survived the time where I dug up the roots to
try and "split" my plants. I still have the basil and it made the
trek from California to Colorado with me.

Basil does need good light and it is worth shoving on a window sill.
One way to increase your window space is by putting a small, narrow
shelf in the area (those ones you see for showers with the sticky
attachments so you can stick them to the window are awesome). Find
one with narrow grid/supports and a lot of height.

The cilantro was not nearly as picky about light but it wasn't happy
about having the roots dug up.

Good luck with growing herbs in your space. I found it to work out
well and I was pleased with how forgiving my plants were.

~becca
Old 07-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:06:47 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Frogleg wrote or quoted:
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:55:39 GMT, "Norma J. Briggs":

Basil, Chives and Dill would grow nicely indoors, will need nice light
though - [...]

Basil is the *last* thing I would try to grow indoors, much less in
this stated low-light situation.

Basil does like light - but otherwise is quite happy indoors.

?? Otherwise how? I have, just as an experiment, over-wintered a basil
plant in a bright indoor room. It survived. It bore absolutely no
resemblance to the full, lushly-leaved plants that were its summer,
outdoor, full-sun cousins.

I am a light-Nazi because I tried for years to grow things in
less-than-optimal light -- anaemic, spindly veg seedlings on
windowsills and light-lovers outside in part-shade that used all their
strength *leaning* toward inadequate sun. Then got a plot in full sun
-- whoopee! Plants that like sun *really* like sun. Not a couple of
leaves of basil to flavor a small dish of red sauce, but bushes of
brilliant healthy leaves to make jars of pesto.

If I had a solarium or even a bow-window with 6 hrs of sun a day, I
would try to grow many things indoors. But herbs are almost all full
sun plants, which means 6+ hrs of direct sunlight per day, not 2hrs of
sun and enough light to read by for another 4.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Becca

Frogleg wrote or quoted:
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:55:39 GMT, "Norma J. Briggs":

Basil, Chives and Dill would grow nicely indoors, will need nice light
though - [...]

Basil is the *last* thing I would try to grow indoors, much less in
this stated low-light situation.

Basil does like light - but otherwise is quite happy indoors.

?? Otherwise how? I have, just as an experiment, over-wintered a basil
plant in a bright indoor room. It survived. snip

What was the disagreement here?

Not a couple of
leaves of basil to flavor a small dish of red sauce, but bushes of
brilliant healthy leaves to make jars of pesto.

And when you are young and poor (hence living in a dingy/dimly lit
apartment) and you just want to grow something...you can make do with
a couple of leaves of basil to flavor red sauce.

If I had a solarium or even a bow-window with 6 hrs of sun a day, I
would try to grow many things indoors.

See note about being young and poor.

But herbs are almost all full
sun plants, which means 6+ hrs of direct sunlight per day, not 2hrs of
sun and enough light to read by for another 4.

They don't rock. My basil is not better than your outdoor version.
But it, like the tomatoes I grew last summer in the window, is better
than nothing. And if you divide the number of plants I was able to
grow out of one bag of soil-less mix on sale (I recycle glass jars for
pots), my basil cost me less than buying one set of the fresh stuff
from the supermarket ($3+ here in Denver). And that doesn't even
include the value I got out of having signs of life in a dingy, dark
apartment.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Frogleg

On 7 Jan 2004 14:27:03 -0800, (Becca) wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

after someone wrote:
Basil does like light - but otherwise is quite happy indoors.

?? Otherwise how?

What was the disagreement here?

The statement doesn't make sense. It's like saying I like food, but
otherwise am happy without.

Not a couple of
leaves of basil to flavor a small dish of red sauce, but bushes of
brilliant healthy leaves to make jars of pesto.

And when you are young and poor (hence living in a dingy/dimly lit
apartment) and you just want to grow something...you can make do with
a couple of leaves of basil to flavor red sauce.

Don't make assumptions. I have been young and poor, and now am, ahem,
older and poor (which is worse). And as I noted, I have lived with
many low-light situations and only achieved the joy of full sun when I
had a community garden plot. My point, perhaps badly expressed, was
that sufficient sunlight makes all the difference in the world. I *do*
sympathize with the desire to have (useful) green things growing
indoors. It pains me, however, to see recommendations for just putting
a pot on a windowsill to have a year-round supply of herbs of every
sort.

But herbs are almost all full
sun plants, which means 6+ hrs of direct sunlight per day, not 2hrs of
sun and enough light to read by for another 4.

They don't rock. My basil is not better than your outdoor version.
But it, like the tomatoes I grew last summer in the window, is better
than nothing.

No disagreement there. :-) It sounds as if you have done very well.
I'm just trying to pass along my experience that in general, indoor
conditions just don't supply enough light for really satisfactory
results with full-sun plants.
Old 14-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Kat

(Becca) wrote in message om...
Frogleg wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:55:39 GMT, "Norma J. Briggs" nbriggs@(NO
SPAM)houston.rr.com wrote:

"Jane" wrote

[...]

This is the first time in this group. I found the idea about putting
the shower
stickys a cute idea for small plants. Another idea is putting glass
shelves up. If you have a large window it's great because you plant
flowers etc. Up north (Yukon) my girlfriend uses grow lights (in the
winter they only get about 6-7 hours of sunlight).
I picked (rec.gardens.edible) because I'm into all herbs, wild and
domestic. I'm also into natural healing and am hoping to find others
with the same interests.

Old 14-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Lynn Smythe

I grow lemon balm indoors with great success. My LB gets attacked anytime I
try growing it outdoors in my s. Florida garden but it's nice and healthy in
a small pot I keep on a east facing windowsill in my bedroom.

Take care,

--
Lynn Smythe
e-mail:

"Kat" wrote in message
om...
(Becca) wrote in message

om...
Frogleg wrote in message

. ..
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:55:39 GMT, "Norma J. Briggs" nbriggs@(NO
SPAM)houston.rr.com wrote:

"Jane" wrote

[...]

Growing Herbs/ Chia pets? Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 03-01-2004 09:02 AM
Growing Herbs Jane Gardening 12 03-01-2004 04:32 AM
Growing Herbs Jebediah Kornworthy Lawns 7 19-09-2003 07:04 AM
Growing Herbs Jebediah Kornworthy Roses 11 19-09-2003 07:03 AM
growing herbs miklol United Kingdom 2 05-05-2003 11:56 AM