Old 05-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Nick Wagg

Default ficus family disaster

Julie Clark wrote:

Hi all
I am desperate for some help here. I have a house plant that is over 6 ft
tall now that I have had for over 10 years (2 different houses) All I know
about it is that it is a member of the ficus family but I don't know which
one. 3 weeks ago I moved it away from the window (radiator beneath it) into
the centre of a through lounge to accommodate my christmas tree - disaster!
What was a beautiful lush green plant with hundreds of rich green leaves is
shedding like crazy and I'm as stressed as it obviously is. Can someone
reassure me that I haven't damaged this plant beyond repair? I must admit
that it has survived despite me and not due to me, but I would be gutted if
I've killed it off completely just for a couple of weeks festivities :s
The christmas tree is for moving tonight and the ficus gets its home back
but is there anything I can do to help its recovery?
Thanks

IME, the ficus family are quite sensitive to changes in light, moisture,
draughts, etc., and will shed at the drop of a hat but tend to recover
quite quickly.
--
Nick Wagg