Old 05-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Julie Clark

Default ficus family disaster

Hi all
I am desperate for some help here. I have a house plant that is over 6 ft
tall now that I have had for over 10 years (2 different houses) All I know
about it is that it is a member of the ficus family but I don't know which
one. 3 weeks ago I moved it away from the window (radiator beneath it) into
the centre of a through lounge to accommodate my christmas tree - disaster!
What was a beautiful lush green plant with hundreds of rich green leaves is
shedding like crazy and I'm as stressed as it obviously is. Can someone
reassure me that I haven't damaged this plant beyond repair? I must admit
that it has survived despite me and not due to me, but I would be gutted if
I've killed it off completely just for a couple of weeks festivities :s
The christmas tree is for moving tonight and the ficus gets its home back
but is there anything I can do to help its recovery?
Thanks

Old 05-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Nick Wagg

Julie Clark wrote:

[...]

IME, the ficus family are quite sensitive to changes in light, moisture,
draughts, etc., and will shed at the drop of a hat but tend to recover
quite quickly.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 05-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Martin Sykes

"Julie Clark" wrote in message
Hi all
I am desperate for some help here. I have a house plant that is over 6 ft
tall now that I have had for over 10 years (2 different houses) All I know
about it is that it is a member of the ficus family but I don't know which

snip
The christmas tree is for moving tonight and the ficus gets its home back
but is there anything I can do to help its recovery?
Thanks

Possibly a weeping fig. Very commonly sold in garden centres, ikea and
supermarkets etc. I've got one in the living room about 5ft tall. I've also
got a smaller one about 18 inches on a windowsill and last year it lost
*all* of its leaves about this time. Possibley it got just a bit too cold
near the front door. It is now covered in leaves again although a few lower
branches died back but I quite like the effect as it looks a bit like a
bonsai now...

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 06-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Julie Clark

Thanks everyone I live in hope of a(n almost) full recovery! Sacha,
don't water it? My obvious near neglect seems to suit it then? How often
would you recommend watering it?