Old 05-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Joflo

Default Media for semi hydroponic

I've used Hydroton as SH medium for several years and my plants do quite
well. I've used it for almost everything, my only plants not in it are a
Restrepia and a Pleurothallis which are in perlite and Ludisia discolor and
a Calanthe which are in soil. I've bloomed Slc hybrids, Brassavola nodosa,
Den. nobile hybrids, Burrageara, etc. The worst thing about the Hydroton is
its shape, when one drops a pot the pellets roll all over.

Johanna

"Yc" wrote in message
. ..
Happy New Year everyone!

LTNS to those I used to chat with.

After 3 years of benign neglect, my orchids are demanding a more
sophisticated neglect. Hence semi hydroponic.

I cannot find a Canadian supplier for the PrimeAgra clay pellets that
Ray Barkalow of First Rays Orchids uses for his semi hydroponic
culture. (Of course I can buy them from Ray, but I am trying to avoid
paying UPS to ship rocks.) Does anyone know of a Canadian supplier of
PrimeAgra?

Failing that, has anyone used other expanded clay pellets called
Hydroton or another called Hydrocorn? Those are the two brands I can
find locally. How do they compare to PrimeAgra?

Thanks.

Yc