Old 06-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Jim Lewis

Default Planting shrubs in Zone 7b / Atlanta

"Josh Kalish" wrote in
message ...
Thanks all for the responses. My problem is a bit unique. I

really just
want to sell the house, but construction work there has

devastated the
grounds. I appreciate the idea that a truly wonderful garden

will take a
year or two to create. My situation, however, is a little

different. I
just want to show something other than a dirt hole to people

who come by to
look at the house. I'm trying to figure out what kinds of

things I can do
soon that will produce the best immediate results. I'm willing

to forgo
what would look best in the long run for what would do the best

now. Can
anyone think of anything that can be put down in the middle of

Feb?

If that's all you want, get a bunch of those $#@ Chinese hollies,
plant them around the foundation (and let the new owner worry
about them when the prickly mess grows up over the windows).
Privet also are green, study, and cheap and fast growing -- if
leggy.

A bunch of inexpensive azaleas also would do. You probably can
plant in February in Atlanta, but not much earlier.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and
Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:
2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob
Lilienfield