Old 05-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Josh Kalish

Default Planting shrubs in Zone 7b / Atlanta

Hi,

Can anyone here help give me guidance with planting shrubs? My house is in
Atlanta, which I think is zone 7b. The house is fairly shady, and when I
look at books of gardening ideas, I see lots of shrubs that are supposed to
be able to grow there. Among the plants that I would consider planting a
Copper Plant, Ajuga, many different types of Azaleas, Crown of Thorns, man
different Gardenias, Patiens, Impatiens, and Pansies. I'm sure that there
are many other good candidates for adding color and texture to my future
landscape.

My question is this. I'd like to plant by the end of January / middle of
February and have results that are immediate. Can anyone advise what are
the best choices?

Thanks,

Josh

BTW, thanks to all who responded to my question regarding sod.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Josh Kalish

I forgot to mention. I am frequently out of town and would like to find
shrubs / greenery that is the most resilient and can withstand me being away
for a few days when it doesn't rain. Thanks, Josh

Old 05-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Josh Kalish" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone here help give me guidance with planting shrubs? My house is

in
Atlanta, which I think is zone 7b. The house is fairly shady, and when I
look at books of gardening ideas, I see lots of shrubs that are supposed

be able to grow there. Among the plants that I would consider planting

Copper Plant, Ajuga, many different types of Azaleas, Crown of Thorns, man
different Gardenias, Patiens, Impatiens, and Pansies. I'm sure that there
are many other good candidates for adding color and texture to my future
landscape.

My question is this. I'd like to plant by the end of January / middle of
February and have results that are immediate. Can anyone advise what are
the best choices?

You may want to rethink this plan a bit. Georgia can experience some pretty
cold temperatures through January and February - usually not what one
considers ideal planting weather. Heavy rains can also be a factor, as
saturated soils should not be worked or even walked on. Not to mention that
what nurseries are open offer a seriously reduced plant selection compared
to even a little later in the season.

FYI, copper plant and crown of thorns are tropical plants grown as
houseplants through most of the country - certainly will not be winter hardy
outdoors in your climate.

There are many shrubs you can plant in a shady garden - rhododendrons and
azaleas, Pieris, nandina, hydrangea, leucothoe, shrub dogwoods, clethra,
etc. Also many flowering perennials and ground covers. It might make more
sense now for you to get some books on shade gardening and do some research
on what plants you like and are suitable for your environment and wait to
select and plant later in the season.. You should also know that plants
which are newly planted will need regular and consistant water for at last
the first year in the ground - a week or two lapse in watering could easily
do them in if conditions are right. Investigate installing an irrigation
system to tend to this if you travel frequently. And be sure to make sure
you have addressed soil conditions - attending to the infrastructure of a
garden - amending the soil, installing irrigation and hardscaping - are
things that must be done before any planting should be considered.

Don't expect results to be immediate. Plants take time to grow and mature.
Gardens are a long term proposition, not something that magically appears
overnight, even ones which are landscaped by professionals.

pam - gardengal

pam - gardengal

Old 05-01-2004, 06:12 PM
J Kolenovsky

Joh, this comments by Pam are good to go by - =

[...]

I am a landscaper and clients always want instant results. Even the ones
who say they understand the maturity come back a month later and say
"It's not full enough, yet". Those beautiful gardens they see did not
occur in 1-2 weeks but rather "years" to develop. If you want some
maturity and structure in your garden, install the sprinkler system,
amend the soil/beds with the proper amendments and in some cases,
purchase slightly larger specimens than 1 and 3 gallon plants. In some
caes, 5 gallon, 7 gallon, even 10 gallon, depending on the slection, may
be better. Putting in a landscape is a process that ultimaltely yields a
result.

Also, to get the greatest value out of your investment in your
landscape, plant as many native plants of your region that you can find.
They will proliferate, give you bio-diversity and help fight out
outbrakes of insect infestations and help to curtail plant diseases.
They will also give your home a "Sense of Place" with the effect they
produce as they mature.

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

Josh Kalish wrote:
=

Hi,
=

[...]

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 06-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Josh Kalish

Thanks all for the responses. My problem is a bit unique. I really just
want to sell the house, but construction work there has devastated the
grounds. I appreciate the idea that a truly wonderful garden will take a
year or two to create. My situation, however, is a little different. I
just want to show something other than a dirt hole to people who come by to
look at the house. I'm trying to figure out what kinds of things I can do
soon that will produce the best immediate results. I'm willing to forgo
what would look best in the long run for what would do the best now. Can
anyone think of anything that can be put down in the middle of Feb?

Thanks,

Josh

Old 06-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Jim Lewis

"Josh Kalish" wrote in
message ...
Thanks all for the responses. My problem is a bit unique. I

really just
want to sell the house, but construction work there has

devastated the
grounds. I appreciate the idea that a truly wonderful garden

will take a
year or two to create. My situation, however, is a little

different. I
just want to show something other than a dirt hole to people

who come by to
look at the house. I'm trying to figure out what kinds of

things I can do
soon that will produce the best immediate results. I'm willing

to forgo
what would look best in the long run for what would do the best

now. Can
anyone think of anything that can be put down in the middle of

Feb?

If that's all you want, get a bunch of those $#@ Chinese hollies,
plant them around the foundation (and let the new owner worry
about them when the prickly mess grows up over the windows).
Privet also are green, study, and cheap and fast growing -- if
leggy.

A bunch of inexpensive azaleas also would do. You probably can
plant in February in Atlanta, but not much earlier.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and
Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:
2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob
Lilienfield

Old 06-01-2004, 03:02 AM
J Kolenovsky

Since you are selling the house, that makes a difference. I wouldn't put
sticky. prickly specimens there. Go by your nurseries and plant what is
in inventory. Some are probably having sales now. If you can find some
color now, I'd stick with, say , one or two colors in drifts or runs.
Annuals could be the bilk of what you plant with some inexpensive shrubs
here and there and maybe 1 or 2 small understory trees. The annuals can
be anything. In my opinion, I think it would be nice if the shrubs and
small understory trees were natives. Tell the nursery sales people that
you would like this kind of mix, annuals, native trees, native shrubs,
and let them guide you. You need not spend a lot on the natives as the
annials are the bulk of the plantings.

Here is what blooms at the Atlanta Botanical Garden:

http://www.atlantabotanicalgarden.or.../wib_01jan.htm
http://www.atlantabotanicalgarden.or.../wib_02feb.htm
http://www.atlantabotanicalgarden.or...ib_03march.htm

Annuals: =

Balsam -- Impatiens capensis or I. pallida =

Blue daze -- Evolvulus glomeratus 'Blue Daze' =

Cardinal climber vine -- ?? =

Cleome =

Cosmos =

Dusty miller -- Artemisia stelleriana, Centaurea cineraria or
Lychnis coronaria =

Fan flower -- Scaveola =

Globe Amaranth -- Gomphrena =

Lantana =

Moonflower -- Ipomoea alba =

Marigold -- Tagetes =

Purslane -- Portulaca =

Runner beans -- Phaseolus coccineus =

Salvia =

Sunflowers -- Helianthus =

Zinnia =

---------------------------------------------- =

Annual and Biennial Herbs: =

Basil -- Ocimum =

Dill -- Anethum =

Parsley -- Petroselinum =

--------------------------------------------- =

Perennials: =

Ammi =

Anise hyssop -- Agastache foeniculum =

Balloon flower -- Platycodon =

Baths pinks -- Dianthus gratianopolitanus 'Bath's Pink' =

Becki Daisies -- Leucanthemum =

Blackeyed susan -- Rudbeckia =

Brazilian Verbena -- Verbena brasiliensis =

Calla lily -- Zantedeschia =

Creeping raspberry -- Rubus =

Daylily -- Hemerocallis =

Gallardia (Goblin) =

Gaura =

Goldenrod (Fireworks) -- Solidago =

Hardy hibiscus -- Hibiscus moscheutos =

Lamb's ear -- Stachys =

Maiden grass -- Adiantum capillus =

Mexican bush sage -- Salvia leucantha =

Mouse ear -- Cerastium =

Queen Anne's Lace -- Daucus carota =

Russian Sage -- Perovskia =

Rose -- Rosa =

Salvia (May Night, Blue Hill) -- Salvia x superba =

Shasta daisies (of all kinds) -- Leucanthemum =

Tickseed -- Coreopsis =

------------------------------------------ =

Perennial Herbs: =

Creeping thyme -- Thymus praecox =

Curry plant -- Helichrysum italicum =

Horehound -- Ballota =

Oregano -- Origanum =

Rosemary -- Rosmarinus =

Sage -- Salvia =

Thyme -- Thymus =

Tricolor sage -- Salvia officinalis 'Tricolor' =

------------------------------------------------ =

Shrubs: =

Butterfly bush -- Buddleja or Buddleia =

Caryopteris =

Cotoneaster dammeri =

Forsythia =

Indian hawthorne -- Rhaphiolepis indica =

Kleim's hardy gardenia -- Gardenia jasminoides 'Kleim's Hardy'
a.k.a. Daisy =

Otto Luken laurel -- Prunus laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken' or "Otto
Luken' =

Pee Gee Hydrangea -- Hydrangea paniculata grandiflora =

Rose -- Rosa =

Rose of sharon -- Hibiscus syriacus =

Witch hazel -- Loropetalum =

Virginia Sweetspire (Itea virginica)

Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana)

----------------------------------------------- =

Trees: =

Saucer magnolia -- Magnolia x soulangiana =

Dogwood (Cornus florida)

Sourwood Tree (Oxydendrum arboreum)

Southern Wax Myrtle Myrica cerifera

Ashe Simpson Garden Center =

4961 Peachtree Ind. Blvd, Atlanta =

770-458-3224 =

Georgia Perimeter Botanical Garden =

3251 Panthersville Road, Atlanta =

404-244-5001 =

Pike=92s Nursery =

Located throughout the Atlanta Metro area =

Habersham Gardens =

2067 Manchester Street, Atlanta =

404-873-2484 =

Hastings =

3920 Peachtree Road NE, Atlanta =

404-869-7447 =

Florafarm =

820 Peachtree Parkway (Hwy 141), Cumming =

770-889-3559 =

Woody=92s Nursery =

2886 N Buford Highway, Duluth =

770-476-1705 =

Turnipseed Nursery Farms =

685 Glynn Street South, Fayetteville =

770-460-8534 =

Kelli Green Greenhouse and Nursery =

2514 Shallowford Road, Marietta =

770-928-1190 =

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com =

Josh Kalish wrote:
=

Hi,
=

Old 06-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Since you are selling the house, that makes a difference. I wouldn't put
sticky. prickly specimens there. Go by your nurseries and plant what is
in inventory. Some are probably having sales now. If you can find some
color now, I'd stick with, say , one or two colors in drifts or runs.
Annuals could be the bilk of what you plant with some inexpensive shrubs
here and there and maybe 1 or 2 small understory trees. The annuals can
be anything. In my opinion, I think it would be nice if the shrubs and
small understory trees were natives. Tell the nursery sales people that
you would like this kind of mix, annuals, native trees, native shrubs,
and let them guide you. You need not spend a lot on the natives as the
annials are the bulk of the plantings.

Am I missing something here?? We're talking zone 7b in midwinter. That's an
average minimum winter temp of 10F. I'm in zone 8b and it was 19F last
night with 8 inches of snow expected tonight. What the heck kinda annuals
can he expect to find? Perhaps a few winter pansies or some primulas, maybe.
It may not have been very chilly so far this season, but I'd be willing to
bet that the temps are gonna plunge at least once or twice before the house
hits the market. Stick with a few broadleaved evergreen shrubs, maybe a
container of color close to the entry that can be tucked away when freezing
temperatures threaten.

pam - gardengal.

Old 06-01-2004, 05:33 AM
J Kolenovsky

Pam, he may not want to spend a lot if he plans to sell the house in a
month or two. I suggested he put more money into perishables like
cold-weather annuals and transfer the burden of plants to the new home
owner. I also suggested he do plant some evergreens and some natives so
it would have some substance. The gentleman may be browsing for feedback
in order to develop a menu of
ideas. That way he can glean both of our suggestions.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:32 AM
gregpresley

Hi Pam,
Atlanta is generally warmer during the day than Seattle during the
winter. (Maybe average highs of 50 to 54) However, you are correct that
nurseries will not be offering much in the way of annuals more than pansies
and perhaps primulas, because the nights will be as chilly or even chillier
than Seattle's. Some will offer pots of prechilled daffodils and other bulbs
which could be plopped in the ground. He may even find things like
paperwhites on sale after the Christmas rush, although they will not last
for many more weeks in bloom. Sometimes in the south they will sell
ranunculus in pots in winter. If the winter is mild enough for them to
survive, they will often bloom into late April. Occasionally a nursery in
the south will sell pots of delphiniums in mid-winter in the south, not yet
blooming, and if the right combination of cool nights and not too much rain
and humidity come too early , they will bloom very nicely in April and May
before turning to mush in the heat and humidity of summer.
There is a garden cable show filmed in north Florida (Jacksonville or
thereabouts, I think) that shows the plant materials commonly used there in
by commercial landscapers. (I think it's called home landscaping, or some
other imaginative name (sic). Commonly used on it are hollies, ligustrums,
euonymus, giant varieagated liriopes, camellias, boxwood, and azaleas. Pine
straw will be sold cheaply by the local nurseries in tightly bound bales,
and is often used in the South as THE mulch, raked around nicely to be even
and clean looking. If this guy is hoping to sell his house in the next
month of so, I'd spend some budget money on a fair-sized already fully
budded and blooming camellia (which might be $30-50) and an azalea in a
complementary color to give the yard some color, and then just do the rest
in basic green shrubbery.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:12 AM
J Kolenovsky

There you go. Camellias and Azaleas would give him structure/blooms and
go green with the shrubs.
(some evergreen, some deciduous?)

=

Old 07-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 03:00:53 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

Am I missing something here?? We're talking zone 7b in midwinter. That's an
average minimum winter temp of 10F. I'm in zone 8b and it was 19F last
night with 8 inches of snow expected tonight. What the heck kinda annuals
can he expect to find? Perhaps a few winter pansies or some primulas, maybe.
It may not have been very chilly so far this season, but I'd be willing to
bet that the temps are gonna plunge at least once or twice before the house
hits the market. Stick with a few broadleaved evergreen shrubs, maybe a
container of color close to the entry that can be tucked away when freezing
temperatures threaten.

A check of wonderground.com reveals that the 7am temperature in
Atlanta was 18F with a high in the upper 30s predicted. Somewhat
further north (SE Virginia, also 7b), it's 23F with flurries predicted
for tomorrow. *Not* the time to be planting much of anything, however
unfortunate for the OP. A trip to a garden center to pick up things
in containers with perhaps colorful berries and/or variegated foliage
is probably as much as can be done in this season. Maybe some shrubs
could be heeled in, but better bare dirt than a bunch of dying plants.

Did I mention it was 78F here on Sunday? Average, schmaverage!
Old 08-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Mike Prager

Pam - gardengal wrote:

There are many shrubs you can plant in a shady garden - rhododendrons and
azaleas, Pieris, nandina, hydrangea, leucothoe, shrub dogwoods, clethra,
etc. Also many flowering perennials and ground covers. It might make more
sense now for you to get some books on shade gardening and do some research
on what plants you like and are suitable for your environment and wait to
select and plant later in the season..

Let me second Pam's typically excellent selections. I'd like
to add, if you are interested in a reference book, I'd
recommend the "Southern Living Garden Book" as a reasonable
first reference to what grows in the southeast (including your
area). There are better and more detailed books for specific
concerns (notably Dirr's for shrubs), but they are
considerably more expensive, and the Southern Living book,
available in paperback, gives an overview of everything.

In addition to the plants Pam recommended, I think Camellia
sasanqua will grow in your area, at least in protected areas.
You will be cheating yourself if you don't plant at least one
variety of these rugged, beautiful, plants.

Have fun!

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Old 08-01-2004, 02:36 AM
Mike Prager

gregpresley wrote:

Sometimes in the south they will sell
ranunculus in pots in winter. If the winter is mild enough for them to
survive, they will often bloom into late April. Occasionally a nursery in
the south will sell pots of delphiniums in mid-winter in the south, not yet
blooming, and if the right combination of cool nights and not too much rain
and humidity come too early , they will bloom very nicely in April and May
before turning to mush in the heat and humidity of summer.

Now I see the house is being sold -- don't rule out covering
the bare spots with clean much, getting some potted flowering
plants, keeping them on an enclosed porch, and setting them
out in the beds before the house is shown to prospects. A
cheerful appearance is the thing.