Old 06-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

Default Planting shrubs in Zone 7b / Atlanta

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Since you are selling the house, that makes a difference. I wouldn't put
sticky. prickly specimens there. Go by your nurseries and plant what is
in inventory. Some are probably having sales now. If you can find some
color now, I'd stick with, say , one or two colors in drifts or runs.
Annuals could be the bilk of what you plant with some inexpensive shrubs
here and there and maybe 1 or 2 small understory trees. The annuals can
be anything. In my opinion, I think it would be nice if the shrubs and
small understory trees were natives. Tell the nursery sales people that
you would like this kind of mix, annuals, native trees, native shrubs,
and let them guide you. You need not spend a lot on the natives as the
annials are the bulk of the plantings.

Am I missing something here?? We're talking zone 7b in midwinter. That's an
average minimum winter temp of 10F. I'm in zone 8b and it was 19F last
night with 8 inches of snow expected tonight. What the heck kinda annuals
can he expect to find? Perhaps a few winter pansies or some primulas, maybe.
It may not have been very chilly so far this season, but I'd be willing to
bet that the temps are gonna plunge at least once or twice before the house
hits the market. Stick with a few broadleaved evergreen shrubs, maybe a
container of color close to the entry that can be tucked away when freezing
temperatures threaten.

pam - gardengal.