Old 06-01-2004, 05:33 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Planting shrubs in Zone 7b / Atlanta

Pam, he may not want to spend a lot if he plans to sell the house in a
month or two. I suggested he put more money into perishables like
cold-weather annuals and transfer the burden of plants to the new home
owner. I also suggested he do plant some evergreens and some natives so
it would have some substance. The gentleman may be browsing for feedback
in order to develop a menu of
ideas. That way he can glean both of our suggestions.

Am I missing something here?? We're talking zone 7b in midwinter.
That's an
average minimum winter temp of 10F. I'm in zone 8b and it was 19F last
night with 8 inches of snow expected tonight. What the heck kinda
annuals
can he expect to find? Perhaps a few winter pansies or some primulas,
maybe.
It may not have been very chilly so far this season, but I'd be willing
bet that the temps are gonna plunge at least once or twice before the
house
hits the market. Stick with a few broadleaved evergreen shrubs, maybe a
container of color close to the entry that can be tucked away when
freezing
temperatures threaten.

pam - gardengal.

-- =