Old 06-01-2004, 07:04 AM
MartyWeiser

Default [IBC] Trunk chopping a Scotts Pine

I have chopped some 1"+ (3 cm) nursery stock back to the low weak branches
that form in the initial whorl. They normally sulk for a year before these
branches start to grow vigorously. However, this often gives a short fat
trunk that I think can be developed in a reasonably nice small tree in about
5-10 years after the chop. Since I can often find 1 gallon nursery stock
with several small branches a few inches above the soil for less than $10 it
is an on going experiment. I think the key to keeping these low weak
branches is that I don't keep any of the higher stronger ones after they
have spent a year or two thickening the trunk.

There have been some excellent articles written by Julian Adams in
International Bonsai on Scots Pine in the US. In addition to supplying well
annealed copper wire, Julian has given me some great advice on cultivating
this, my favorite pine.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++