Old 06-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Mike Lyle

Default National Botanic Garden of Wales

Howard Neil wrote in message .. .
David Hill wrote:

Well since the candle light session before Xmas there has been no word that
I have heard from the gardens.

I wonder how many watched the "20" favourite holidays last week.
They gave Wales 1.5 million visitors that is North, Mid and south
combined........
Way above was Devon and Cornwall with 4 million which goes a long way to
explain why The Eden project get so many more visitors.
We have to remember that the gardens were set up as Botanic gardens not
primarily as a tourist attraction.

Lets just hope that the New Year brings some good news in some form or
another.

There was a news item on teletext on Sunday,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3366715.stm seems the nearest item on
the BBC pages, that talks are proceeding with the "mystery potential
buyer" and that the redundancy notices, which were due to come into
effect on the 5th, would not be acted on at this stage. There may be
hope yet.

It ****es me off that the Wales Botanic Garden doesn't receive the
kind of support anything comparable in England would get. I voted for
the Welsh Assembly out of duty, not out of any belief that the
disgusting Taffia apparatchiks would suddenly get public-spirited;
maybe I should have voted against, just to remind the buggers who paid
for it all.

(I have serious reservations about the Eden Project: if you want to
grow bananas, why do you need to use unrenewable energy sources to do
it in a place which is marginal even for some varieties of apples?)

I'd urge English readers to consider a holiday round he apart from
the stunning Botanic Gardens, we have surfing, mountaineering,
archaeology, Celtic sites, the biggest wooden roller-coaster in the
world, and a Tesco you often take less than ten minutes to find a
parking-place in. For the terminally insane, world-renowned suicidal
mountain-biking and motor-rallying are on the doorstep; the best
sea-trout fishing in Europe (used to be the best in the world till
some prat introduced the devils to Argentina) and Carmarthen Bay holds
the record for rod-caught shark (Huh? Yes, that's right. They don't do
tourists, though; and I've more than once thrilled to watch the
local dolphins doing their murderous fishing routine no more than four
hundred yards from the shore). Seals haul out less than three miles
from Carmarthen town.

We're a knockout: pop over and see.

Mike.