Old 07-01-2004, 02:42 AM
mullens

Default Tender dwarf bamboo

Most bamboos don't like standing in water at all.

Large bamboos seldom produce flowers, but I don't know about dwarf varieties.

Jim McLaren wrote:

I'm trying to find the name of (and hence how to care for) a minature
bamboo purchased last spring by my wife at a nearby garden centre.
The label only says its a bamboo and the cultural advice in the form of
diagrams suggests full sun to part shade, moderate water and a
temperature of 20C. The watering aspect is somewhat contradicted by a
diagram saying the pot should stand in a saucer filled with a minimum
of 1cm and maximum of 3cm of water.

The plant flourished throughout the summer in this waterlogged state,
the foliage being about 20cm high and a few flowers were produced.

However, throughout autumn the foliage has yellowed and is now
apparently dead as are the culms. Is it a deciduous species, or
annual, or simply been killed by my not adjusting the culture for
autumn and winter?
--
Jim McLaren