Old 07-01-2004, 04:44 AM
Kay

Default 38 Gallon Habitat- need advice

Csowl102 wrote:
Hello,

I am planning on setting up a 38 gallon planted tank and have considered
setting this tank up with a few specific plants species. I am basically
looking for some feedback on the compatibility of these species and how well
they are likely to thrive under my current tank conditions. The tank will be
set up with Eco-Complete as the substrate, 2 Flora Sun 25 Watt (8500 K)
Florescent tubes for the lighting, and an Aquaclear 300 filter for the
filtration. I am also looking for some comments on the species I have
selected... and if I am on target with the numbers of these plants for my 38
gallon tank size. As far as the fish are concerned.. I'm planning on having
mainly Angels and well as some Rasboras and maybe a couple small Gouramis. I
greatly appreciate all feedback... even any criticisms. Ok... now here are
the quantities and species of plants that I am considering:

2 Rotala Indica
2 Rotala Macrandra
2 Rotala Wallichii
4 Ludwiga Perencis
8 Micranthemum Micranthenoides
5 Eleocharis Acicularis (Hairgrass)
1 Anubias Barteri
10 Sagittaria Subulata
10 Echinodorus Tenellus
6 Vallisneria Americana
2 Hygrophilia Corymbosa
6 Hygrophilia Polysperma
4 Dipiplis Diandra
2 Limnophila Sessiliforma
2 Heteranthera Zosterifolia
1 Lobelia Cardinalis
10 Aponogeton Crispus

I have this tank. And the problem I had was the lighting.
I started with default lighting, and it was awful for the
plants. I doubled the bulbs, 40 watts, plants kept dying and
lots of brown algae. Put in a 55 watt compact florecents.
plants recovering, brown algae is gone, and doing better, But I might
still go up to a 96 watt bulb.

I hope this helps

Kay