Old 06-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Csowl102

Default 38 Gallon Habitat- need advice

Hello,

I am planning on setting up a 38 gallon planted tank and have considered
setting this tank up with a few specific plants species. I am basically
looking for some feedback on the compatibility of these species and how well
they are likely to thrive under my current tank conditions. The tank will be
set up with Eco-Complete as the substrate, 2 Flora Sun 25 Watt (8500 K)
Florescent tubes for the lighting, and an Aquaclear 300 filter for the
filtration. I am also looking for some comments on the species I have
selected... and if I am on target with the numbers of these plants for my 38
gallon tank size. As far as the fish are concerned.. I'm planning on having
mainly Angels and well as some Rasboras and maybe a couple small Gouramis. I
greatly appreciate all feedback... even any criticisms. Ok... now here are
the quantities and species of plants that I am considering:

2 Rotala Indica
2 Rotala Macrandra
2 Rotala Wallichii
4 Ludwiga Perencis
8 Micranthemum Micranthenoides
5 Eleocharis Acicularis (Hairgrass)
1 Anubias Barteri
10 Sagittaria Subulata
10 Echinodorus Tenellus
6 Vallisneria Americana
2 Hygrophilia Corymbosa
6 Hygrophilia Polysperma
4 Dipiplis Diandra
2 Limnophila Sessiliforma
2 Heteranthera Zosterifolia
1 Lobelia Cardinalis
10 Aponogeton Crispus
Old 06-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Nwwise01

The tank will be
set up with Eco-Complete as the substrate, 2 Flora Sun 25 Watt (8500 K)
Florescent tubes for the lighting, and an Aquaclear 300 filter for the
filtration. I am also looking for some comments on the species I have
selected... and if I am on target with the numbers of these plants for my 38
gallon tank size.

As far as the species coexisting, I see no problems. That is a rather large
variety for a 38 gallon tank. I personally would go with larger quantities of
fewer species. The major problem I see is your lighting. With only 50 watts
over 38 gallons, that's only about 1 1/3 watts per gallon, not much good for
anything except low light plants.

N. Wise
Old 06-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Carlos

i also see a problem with the lights, not many watts there, only to grow
species like anubias, or maybe cryptos, low light plants. its 1.3 watts /gal
you should increase to maybe 3-4 watts, not above that, hygros, rotalas, and
the others you mentioned like much more light than u will provide. as far
as plant species, check for substrate and ph, that all live in the same ph
and substrate.

with the fish i see no probs. get a few othos. also the aquaclear gives a
nice splash to the water surface if you are looking for that in a planted
tank well i see no prob, but many many people prefer not to disturb the
water surface do to the accelaration in removal of co2 that could be use by
the plants, many people prefer filters below the surface, so as not to
disturb it, what i do is i have many water lettuce plants at the surface and
i have an aquaclear that splashes but over the water lettuce so not to
disturb as much the surface.

besides that, dont include neons with your angels, they like them for
dinner. take care and hopes this helps.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:15 PM
RedForeman ©®

but be careful going over the 2wpg limit, go over it, and you'll almost
'need' CO2 to keep the algae in check... CO2 will allow the plants to
compete with the algae, and with ferts will win....

keep it a low light tank, maybe 1.3wpg will be ok.... my guess would be at
2wpg, you'd be happier...

--

RedForeman ©®

Old 07-01-2004, 04:44 AM
Kay

Csowl102 wrote:
[...]

I have this tank. And the problem I had was the lighting.
I started with default lighting, and it was awful for the
plants. I doubled the bulbs, 40 watts, plants kept dying and
lots of brown algae. Put in a 55 watt compact florecents.
plants recovering, brown algae is gone, and doing better, But I might
still go up to a 96 watt bulb.

I hope this helps

Kay