Old 07-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Frogleg

Default Growing Herbs

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:06:47 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

Frogleg wrote or quoted:
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:55:39 GMT, "Norma J. Briggs":

Basil, Chives and Dill would grow nicely indoors, will need nice light
though - [...]

Basil is the *last* thing I would try to grow indoors, much less in
this stated low-light situation.

Basil does like light - but otherwise is quite happy indoors.

?? Otherwise how? I have, just as an experiment, over-wintered a basil
plant in a bright indoor room. It survived. It bore absolutely no
resemblance to the full, lushly-leaved plants that were its summer,
outdoor, full-sun cousins.

I am a light-Nazi because I tried for years to grow things in
less-than-optimal light -- anaemic, spindly veg seedlings on
windowsills and light-lovers outside in part-shade that used all their
strength *leaning* toward inadequate sun. Then got a plot in full sun
-- whoopee! Plants that like sun *really* like sun. Not a couple of
leaves of basil to flavor a small dish of red sauce, but bushes of
brilliant healthy leaves to make jars of pesto.

If I had a solarium or even a bow-window with 6 hrs of sun a day, I
would try to grow many things indoors. But herbs are almost all full
sun plants, which means 6+ hrs of direct sunlight per day, not 2hrs of
sun and enough light to read by for another 4.