Old 07-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Shiva

Default glamis caste and charlotte...anyone have experience in SE?

Heidi wrote:

Anne,

I haven't tried triangle.gardens, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the
suggestion! Hopefully there are still some local people reading the
gardening ng's, despite being slightly off season!

It's not off season! Winter is dreaming season, thinking about extant
beds and planning additions to them; dreaming up new beds; going over those
catalogs both hardcopy and online and planning orders, then ordering.

I am in Raleigh, downtown in Oakwood, and I grow lots of Austins but not
Glamis Castle or Charlotte. Most of my Austins are too young to really
comment on. I do have an older (five years old) Jude the Obscure on its
own roots that does quite well.

Welcome to rgr! We don't have many Raleigh people who post here, so we
may not be able to help much with regional questions, but there are lots
of good rosers around.

It's odd isn't it, I can't wait to get back into the garden, but I sure
can put off digging a new bed .

Not too odd. Digging hurts!

Heidi

Anne Lurie wrote:

Heidi, I'm relatively new (5 years) to both the South and roses, so I guess
I'm still awestruck by being able to (or forced to, not sure which) do
garden work in January or February!

As for the timing of transplanting sod, etc., have you checked the
triangle.gardens newsgroup?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Heidi" wrote in message
. rr.com...

Anne,

I'm not new to the area, just new to roses. I had read that you can
plant bare root roses in Feb, and potted roses after the last frost. I
was thinking of buying local potted roses so that I can see the roses in
bloom before planting. I have very limited sunny locations to plant so
I want to be choosy about what I try. Plus, I'm just not ready to
prepare a bed yet. I'm going to extend an existing bed and try to
transplant the sod in the area I open up to some bare spots in our back
yard. I think I might be too early to transplant sod--but I welcome any
advice on this!

I'd be happy to exchange some clay for sand. I don't even have to make
an exchange--your welcome to as much clay as you want .

Heidi