Old 07-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Getting started questions

I suspect that seed-grown olives will never make
more than twiggy plants and will not become decent bonsai. On
the other hand, you may prove me wrong.

I gave Chris my offlist opinion of Bonsai Boy. On list, let me say that I bought a small olive cutting 10 years ago, and it's grown to decent size. I live in zone 6/7, so I bring the tree in for the winter. It's a wonderfully tough tree, and I love its.
.. er.... personality, but not even in a hundred years is it going to look like a decent bonsai. It hasn't put on much trunk girth, and I'd need to plant it out to get it to do so.

I'd recommend it to someone who lived in an apartment and couldn't have an outdoor tree, but it's nothing I'd post on the gallery.

Nina Shishkoff

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++