Old 07-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Chris Solo

Default [IBC] Getting started questions

I bought five COMMON OLIVE (OLEA EUROPAEA) seeds. I like the tree itself and decided to try my hand at growing these and training them into Bonsai. I know it is going to take years, but I am willing to go for it. Any help you can give me would be greatly
appreciated. I'm looking for the type of soil to start them in, when to start them, pot size, fertilizer, how much light, and anything else that would help.
2nd question:
I would also like to buy an established tree. I have been looking at some on the "Bonsai Boy of New York's" web site....http://www.bonsaiboy.com/index.html
What tree would everyone recommend for me (a beginner)?
Is this grower a good place to buy trees from?
I am interested in an outside tree and also an inside tree.
Thanks,
Chris
Upstate NY...Binghamton area
USDA Zone 5, Sunset Zone 1-2

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 07-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Jim Lewis

I bought five COMMON OLIVE (OLEA EUROPAEA) seeds. I like the tree
itself and decided to try my hand at growing these and training
them into Bonsai. I know it is going to take years, but I am
willing to go for it. Any help you can give me would be greatly
appreciated. I'm looking for the type of soil to start them in,
when to start them, pot size, fertilizer, how much light, and
anything else that would help.
2nd question:
I would also like to buy an established tree. I have been
looking at some on the "Bonsai Boy of New York's" web
site....http://www.bonsaiboy.com/index.html
What tree would everyone recommend for me (a beginner)?
Is this grower a good place to buy trees from?
I am interested in an outside tree and also an inside tree.
===============

Chris,

Welcome to the world of bonsai. It is addictive.

Plant the seeds by all means, and enjoy them, but Olea Europea is
slow growing and the lovely, rugged bonsai you see of this
species are hundreds of years old BEFORE they were dug up as
mature trees. I suspect that seed-grown olives will never make
more than twiggy plants and will not become decent bonsai. On
the other hand, you may prove me wrong.

Few of us would recommend Bonsai Boy. I haven't shopped there,
but other who have have reported low-quality trees AND service.
There are a number of excellent vendors in the New York (state)
area. Check out www.internationalbonsai.com for one of the very
best. Also check the sponsors for our little group (Internet
Bonsai Club) on our website -- www.internetbonsaiclub.org -- all
of them are reputable and carry high-quality stock.

I'd also suggest that you go to your local library and see what
they have in the way of books on bonsai. Check some of them out.
If you decide to buy a bonsai book, you can check out the book
reviews at our website's "Knowledge Base" pages.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - The ignorant
man marvels at the exceptional; the wise man marvels at the
common; the greatest wonder of all is the regularity of
nature. -- George Dana Bordman

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 07-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I suspect that seed-grown olives will never make
more than twiggy plants and will not become decent bonsai. On
the other hand, you may prove me wrong.

I gave Chris my offlist opinion of Bonsai Boy. On list, let me say that I bought a small olive cutting 10 years ago, and it's grown to decent size. I live in zone 6/7, so I bring the tree in for the winter. It's a wonderfully tough tree, and I love its.
.. er.... personality, but not even in a hundred years is it going to look like a decent bonsai. It hasn't put on much trunk girth, and I'd need to plant it out to get it to do so.

I'd recommend it to someone who lived in an apartment and couldn't have an outdoor tree, but it's nothing I'd post on the gallery.

Nina Shishkoff

Old 08-01-2004, 12:35 AM
rschmitt23

You can save about 10 years time by buying a 3 gallon olea europaea from a
bonsai nursery like Fuji Bonsai Nursery in Sylmar CA. The info is at

http://www.users.qwest.net/~rjbphx/Nagatoshi.html

I bought a nice OE there a few months ago and look forward to working on it
until I kick the bucket.

The Fuji nursery is situated in a former olive grove and Roy's collection of
for-sale specimen bonsai is displayed under the branches of these venerable
old trees. He has a bunch of OE stump-like root cuttings each about 1-1.5
inch caliper in 1 gallon grow pots that will be ready for the market
sometime this year. I have my eye on a couple of these babies.

Around my neighborhood in Orange County there are over a hundred 40-50 year
old multi-trunk OEs 20-30 feet tall serving as landscape decoration along El
Toro Road and Moulton Parkway. They provide great inspiration for a
fledgling bonsai student like myself.

Later
--
Ray Schmitt, Aliso Viejo, CA
Cold Hardiness Zone 10b

"Chris Solo" wrote in message
[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-01-2004, 01:04 AM
Shelly Hurd

Nina wrote about her Olive:
On list, let me say that I bought a small olive cutting 10 years ago, and it's grown to decent size. I live in zone 6/7, so I bring the tree in for the winter. It's a wonderfully tough tree, and I love its... er.... personality, but not even in a hundr
ed years is it going to look like a decent bonsai. It hasn't put on much trunk girth, and I'd need to plant it out to get it to do so.
SNIP

I find this interesting. A couple of years ago I received a half dozen little olive trees, all propagated from cuttings -I believe- that were somewhat interesting, all of them around 6 or 7 years old. That is to say that -I- saw potential in them, espe
cially as Mame. This is the second season half of them will be in largish pots, and could easily be potted into small pots, and look, well . . . okay, at least. Three of them I potted last May or so, together as a group. Their root balls have grown toge
ther by now, and they are fun and enjoyable too. I think, like with most Mame plantings, it's more in the art of deception than trunk size that makes the trees work. Unless you're Suthin of course, but he's several cuts above me. :-)

That said, having seen what can be done with an Old, olive trunk, I must say I yearn to lay hands on one!
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Getting started Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 5 03-11-2003 11:02 PM
Getting started tom Bonsai 0 03-11-2003 02:02 AM
Getting started with fruit trees and bushes sher Edible Gardening 6 10-07-2003 09:56 PM
Getting Started Late with My PONDS Tom La Bron Ponds 0 03-06-2003 06:08 PM
getting started with plants..... jduprie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:17 AM