Old 08-01-2004, 01:04 AM
Shelly Hurd

Default [IBC] Getting started questions

Nina wrote about her Olive:
On list, let me say that I bought a small olive cutting 10 years ago, and it's grown to decent size. I live in zone 6/7, so I bring the tree in for the winter. It's a wonderfully tough tree, and I love its... er.... personality, but not even in a hundr
ed years is it going to look like a decent bonsai. It hasn't put on much trunk girth, and I'd need to plant it out to get it to do so.
SNIP

I find this interesting. A couple of years ago I received a half dozen little olive trees, all propagated from cuttings -I believe- that were somewhat interesting, all of them around 6 or 7 years old. That is to say that -I- saw potential in them, espe
cially as Mame. This is the second season half of them will be in largish pots, and could easily be potted into small pots, and look, well . . . okay, at least. Three of them I potted last May or so, together as a group. Their root balls have grown toge
ther by now, and they are fun and enjoyable too. I think, like with most Mame plantings, it's more in the art of deception than trunk size that makes the trees work. Unless you're Suthin of course, but he's several cuts above me. :-)

That said, having seen what can be done with an Old, olive trunk, I must say I yearn to lay hands on one!
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++