Old 08-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Mike Prager

Default Planting shrubs in Zone 7b / Atlanta

Pam - gardengal wrote:

There are many shrubs you can plant in a shady garden - rhododendrons and
azaleas, Pieris, nandina, hydrangea, leucothoe, shrub dogwoods, clethra,
etc. Also many flowering perennials and ground covers. It might make more
sense now for you to get some books on shade gardening and do some research
on what plants you like and are suitable for your environment and wait to
select and plant later in the season..

Let me second Pam's typically excellent selections. I'd like
to add, if you are interested in a reference book, I'd
recommend the "Southern Living Garden Book" as a reasonable
first reference to what grows in the southeast (including your
area). There are better and more detailed books for specific
concerns (notably Dirr's for shrubs), but they are
considerably more expensive, and the Southern Living book,
available in paperback, gives an overview of everything.

In addition to the plants Pam recommended, I think Camellia
sasanqua will grow in your area, at least in protected areas.
You will be cheating yourself if you don't plant at least one
variety of these rugged, beautiful, plants.

Have fun!

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)