Old 08-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Katra

Default Composting Paper

In article ,
Rusty Mase wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:35:16 GMT, deepeddygirl
wrote:

I was told that the AAS uses soy-based inks so they would actually be
beneficial to the soil. Those glossy ads with lots of color seem like
they would have nasty chemicals so I wouldn't use them.

Agreed. Seems like it would be difficult to avoid making paper
mache', anyway. When they composted the phone books a year or so ago
I suspect they used organic waste solids from a sewage treatment plant
in order to avoid creating a cellulose goop.

But to do this I would want one of the nicer rotating compost barrels.
Any recommendations? They appear to run in the range of $300 to $500.

Rusty Mase

Chickens are cheaper. ;-)
Since I put the compost frame into the chicken yard and the birds have
free access to it, they "turn" the compost for me and add their own rich
additions to it.

By the time the stuff is decomposed and scratched over the top and thru
the fencing, it's ready to be shoveled up for the gardens. ;-) Does not
take long either, and all "edible" garbage from the kitchen goes in
there.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to come and shovel their own
composted fertilizer, I have pens that can use shoveling! You get to
take the resulting composted poopy soil home for free. :-)

K.

--
,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,