Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Rusty Mase

Default Composting Paper

Anyone have advice on doing this? I tire of hauling my newspapers
down to recycle center. A neighbor has a small Troy Built
shredder/mulcher and I might borrow it and experiment some.

Rusty Mase

Old 07-01-2004, 10:55 PM
deepeddygirl

I was told that the AAS uses soy-based inks so they would actually be
beneficial to the soil. Those glossy ads with lots of color seem like
they would have nasty chemicals so I wouldn't use them.

Old 08-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:35:16 GMT, deepeddygirl
wrote:

I was told that the AAS uses soy-based inks so they would actually be
beneficial to the soil. Those glossy ads with lots of color seem like
they would have nasty chemicals so I wouldn't use them.

Agreed. Seems like it would be difficult to avoid making paper
mache', anyway. When they composted the phone books a year or so ago
I suspect they used organic waste solids from a sewage treatment plant
in order to avoid creating a cellulose goop.

But to do this I would want one of the nicer rotating compost barrels.
Any recommendations? They appear to run in the range of $300 to $500.

Rusty Mase

Old 08-01-2004, 03:12 PM
deepeddygirl

My Mom has a standing composter and a rotating composter. I got my
standing composter about 2 weeks ago. She swears by her standing unit.
She says the rotating one gets goopy faster and she has to add dry stuff
more often.

I just ordered mine from Gardening.com:

http://www.gardeners.com/sell.asp?Pr...&RecGroupNum=1

It's called the Pyramid Composter. I'm happy with it so far.

Old 08-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Katra

wrote:

I was told that the AAS uses soy-based inks so they would actually be
beneficial to the soil. Those glossy ads with lots of color seem like
they would have nasty chemicals so I wouldn't use them.

Agreed. Seems like it would be difficult to avoid making paper
mache', anyway. When they composted the phone books a year or so ago
I suspect they used organic waste solids from a sewage treatment plant
in order to avoid creating a cellulose goop.

But to do this I would want one of the nicer rotating compost barrels.
Any recommendations? They appear to run in the range of $300 to $500.

Rusty Mase

Chickens are cheaper. ;-)
Since I put the compost frame into the chicken yard and the birds have
free access to it, they "turn" the compost for me and add their own rich
additions to it.

By the time the stuff is decomposed and scratched over the top and thru
the fencing, it's ready to be shoveled up for the gardens. ;-) Does not
take long either, and all "edible" garbage from the kitchen goes in
there.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to come and shovel their own
composted fertilizer, I have pens that can use shoveling! You get to
take the resulting composted poopy soil home for free. :-)

K.

--
,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

Old 10-01-2004, 08:43 AM
cat daddy

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
Anyone have advice on doing this? I tire of hauling my newspapers
down to recycle center. A neighbor has a small Troy Built
shredder/mulcher and I might borrow it and experiment some.

I threw some Chronicles (crumpled, not shredded) in my bin last August
when I needed more brown material and they decomposed in about six weeks. I
don't think composting newspaper as a main ingredient would be too
successful, especially in a tumbler. I don't know how big a worm composter
would have to be to eat a newspaper a day. But, soaked newspaper
incorporated into a regular compost heap would seem the best way.

composting newspaper.......
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...029425910.html

Composting Shredded Paper Droog Genzel United Kingdom 23 16-02-2005 08:53 PM
Composting Office Paper Down Under On The Bucket Farm Edible Gardening 32 18-02-2004 02:07 AM
Composting Office Paper Down Under On The Bucket Farm Gardening 29 18-02-2004 02:02 AM
Composting Paper Rusty Mase Texas 0 07-01-2004 09:50 PM
composting shredded paper Mark Fawcett United Kingdom 8 24-12-2003 12:10 AM