Old 08-01-2004, 08:20 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default Beginner plants

the aponogeton is what's sending a sprout up to the water surface... watch
it as it blooms.. very pretty, and it's totally ok to do that, because, it's
an aquatic plant. you'll find some non-aquatics that do grow underwater,
but eventually, they will die off....

your plant choices can also include some Cryptocorene's too, maybe becketti
or wenditti (sp?)

Eventually, when your apon finishes blooming, you can prune that runner all
the way back to the base of the plant, not to close, just above the bulb....

--

RedForeman ©®

"Karen Garza" wrote in message
What are some good plants to start with? I have 40 watt
lighting on a 20 gallon aquarium, so I will need low light
plants. I'm considering Java Moss, Java fern and Annubias
Barteri. Are these okay for a beginner? I've already started
a few of those aponogeton bulbs and Ulvaceus bukbs that I
bought at Walmart. A few of them are already growing nicely.
The biggest one has 7 short (about 3-4 inches) leaves and
for some reason it sent up 2 shoots that are about 8-9
inches tall. is that supposed to happen?
Thanks

Karen