Old 07-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Karen Garza

Default Beginner plants

What are some good plants to start with? I have 40 watt
lighting on a 20 gallon aquarium, so I will need low light
plants. I'm considering Java Moss, Java fern and Annubias
Barteri. Are these okay for a beginner? I've already started
a few of those aponogeton bulbs and Ulvaceus bukbs that I
bought at Walmart. A few of them are already growing nicely.
The biggest one has 7 short (about 3-4 inches) leaves and
for some reason it sent up 2 shoots that are about 8-9
inches tall. is that supposed to happen?
Thanks

Karen

Old 07-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Dunter Powries

Karen Garza wrote in message
What are some good plants to start with? I have 40 watt
lighting on a 20 gallon aquarium, so I will need low light
plants. I'm considering Java Moss, Java fern and Annubias
Barteri. Are these okay for a beginner? I've already started
a few of those aponogeton bulbs and Ulvaceus bukbs that I
bought at Walmart. A few of them are already growing nicely.
The biggest one has 7 short (about 3-4 inches) leaves and
for some reason it sent up 2 shoots that are about 8-9
inches tall. is that supposed to happen?
Thanks

Karen

Water sprite and Sagittaria subulata subulata is what I started with, lo,
these thirty-something years ago and, pound for pound, that's probably still
what I have the most of today.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Anton

I've had success with Java Fern, Crypts and Hygrophilia Difformis
(Wisteria). First two are slow growers but the third is fun to keep an eye
on.

Anton

Old 08-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Dunter Powries

My only reservation about slow-growing plants, like anubias and crypts, is
that the beginning aquarist will inevitably, at some point on the learning
curve, experience one or six episodes of run-away algae which a water
wisteria or sprite or other fast-growing plant will bounce right back from
but which will usually result in the anubias getting pitched.

ble.rogers.com...

Old 08-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Dick

I agree that slow growing low light plants can encourage algae, but I
found that cutting back on food and hours of light solved the problem.
I have a time to schedule my lights in 5 tanks. They are on from 4 am
(I am a morning person), off at 1 pm, on again at 3 pm and off for the
night at 7 pm. Green algae on the glass, green spots on my plants,
black algae where ever it wanted to be have receded and the black
algae is gone. I should mention that I have a crew of Siamese Algae
Eaters in all of my tanks, but they were not getting the job done by
themselves.

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 02:01:54 GMT, "Dunter Powries"
wrote:

My only reservation about slow-growing plants, like anubias and crypts, is
that the beginning aquarist will inevitably, at some point on the learning
curve, experience one or six episodes of run-away algae which a water
wisteria or sprite or other fast-growing plant will bounce right back from
but which will usually result in the anubias getting pitched.

able.rogers.com...

Old 08-01-2004, 11:40 AM
LeighMo

I have 40 watt
lighting on a 20 gallon aquarium, so I will need low light
plants.

Not necessarily. You have 2 watts per gallon - moderate light, in my book.
You can probably grow most plants with that lighting, especially if you have a
20 long instead of a 20 high. In fact, you probably should include some fast
growers, or you'll have algae problems.

The only thing is, your tank is not very big, so you'll want plants that don't
get too big. I think you may find many Apons eventually get too big for a 20
gallon.

The biggest one has 7 short (about 3-4 inches) leaves and
for some reason it sent up 2 shoots that are about 8-9
inches tall. is that supposed to happen?

Yes. Apons tend to get very, very large. They don't stay 3"-4", I'm afraid.

Java fern, java moss, and anubias are all great for beginners. However,
consider something like wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) as well. With your
lighting level, you can and should grow some faster growing plants as well.

Leigh

Old 08-01-2004, 08:04 PM
RedForeman ©®

the aponogeton is what's sending a sprout up to the water surface... watch
it as it blooms.. very pretty, and it's totally ok to do that, because, it's
an aquatic plant. you'll find some non-aquatics that do grow underwater,
but eventually, they will die off....

your plant choices can also include some Cryptocorene's too, maybe becketti
or wenditti (sp?)

Eventually, when your apon finishes blooming, you can prune that runner all
the way back to the base of the plant, not to close, just above the bulb....

--

RedForeman ©®