Old 09-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] Dwarf Alberta Spruce

Alan,
Sounds like a great idea.
Many of our alpine and high alpine species are very flexible. They need
multiple wirings to stay put. Their evolution dictates that with wind and
snow load that they bend and stay flexible for survival.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
A couple of months ago LCBS had Ron Martin come to conduct a
workshop. Ron is a very personable guy, and he shared a number of tips.
One of them was an idea on how to overcome the tendency of some trees to
resist training. (I don't recall whether this was his idea or one he'd
picked up from someone else.) His premise was that these trees are
naturally very flexible, so the bending they receive when wired doesn't
break very much cambium or create many internal "scars". Based upon that
premise, he hypothesized that the introduction of small injuries, like
scoring the underside of the branch with a razor blade, prior to wiring
would yield better training results. He happened to be talking about
Ficus, but I suspect it could apply to others, like your dwarf Alberta
spruce.
Ron's hypothesis sounded plausible to me, and I would like to
suggest that several of you give it a try and see if it works. I figure
it shouldn't hurt and just might work. Just make sure that you do it
somewhere that isn't going to be seen when the tree is later exhibited.

Alan Walker

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++