Old 09-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Mike Patterson

Default Burning Down the Pond ( long )

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:35:11 -0500, Chagoi
wrote:

Mike Patterson wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:45:01 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\""
wrote:

snip

Having the gas bubble up from under the water will not work. You must
maintain a constant stream of gas.
The volume of gas can vary, but the supply cannot be broken.

The only way the bubble method MAY work is if you have a standing pilot.
To help maintain the flame.
Even then you will probably have a very unstable flame.
(ex. fireball... steady pilot flame... fireball...steady pilot
flame...Fireball...fireball... fireball...steady flame...etc, etc, etc...
You get the picture...

My plan was to have the gas flow fast enough so that there is a net
"continuous flow" at the surface. to sustain the flame.

Ideally, nothing protrudes above water level, so no pilot.
snip

The scale at which you will be using gas will not sustain a reliable flame.
You are talking a few sq inches of area of flame as compared to a like
an underwatergas well fire
where the area for flame will be several hundred to several thousand
sq. ft.
Thus allowing a lot of opportunity for a flame to be maintained.

Also the volume of gas you would require, IF it were possible to do it
would be astronomical.
I am paying $1.90-$2.20 / gal. Commercial rate.
Compared to $2.75 -$3.50/ gal. Residentual rate.
For LPG here in eastern Pa.

good points,, but I think I'll do some empirical testing. If nothing
else the testing should be entertaining.

snip

3. small FIXED orifice size (thousands of an inch) \ (see figs.
1&2 on page 5 of PatioCampfire.pdf)

well, I guess the orifice size I was planning would be about 250
square feet :-)

4. a burner (Like on a gas range) / @
http://ourkoipond.com/PatioCampfire.pdf

5. produce a constant flame

I have conceptual drawings for a FEFD (floating eternal flame device),
but then,
AT THE LEAST, the same 5 requirements I mentioned above still stand.
Plus it has a peaceful, relaxing flame similar to these only smaller;

http://ourkoipond.com/Fire1.jpg
http://ourkoipond.com/Fire2.jpg
http://ourkoipond.com/Fire3.jpg
http://ourkoipond.com/Fire4.jpg
http://ourkoipond.com/Fire5.jpg
http://ourkoipond.com/Fire6.jpg

Sorry for the rambling

Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

That's OK, keep rambling. In the immortal words of Number 5, "more
input!"

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.