Old 10-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Zinnia

Default Stop me before I buy more

And you think you have it bad for buying Wally's roses. I'm busily potting
up 50 roses, since we are moving; and still packed home yesterday a humble
Home Depot bargain Bewitched. Like, did I really need another rose right
now. The answer is of course since I didn't have one and it was living in
such ugly conditions in the bargain bin.
Mark. Gooley wrote in message
I bought 20 bare-root bagged-with-wood-waste and dipped-in-wax
cheapo ($2.97 to $5.97) roses at WalleyeMart StuporCenters in
Florida this week. Mostly the roses are old standbys grafted onto
some crap stock like Dr. Huey, but some are own-root (amazing!)
and some are obscure somewhat-recent mediocre varieties pretty
much offered only by Certified Roses, which is one of WalleyeMart's
suppliers at least for this area (all of them seem to be in Tyler, Texas):
namely Macho Man (mauve/mauve blend, fragrant hybrid tea, 1999) and
Better Homes and Gardens Diamond Jubilee (red blend with red-edge
blooms, HT 1997). Sally Holmes is one of the own-roots offered and
Therese Bugnet another, and others (grafted, sadly) include Kordes
Perfecta, Electron, Robusta, Sterling Silver, and Angel Face -- not all
junk, although perhaps these particular bushes are. I've potted them all
up, as potting up hacked-up bare-root roses seems to help them survive,
at least in my experience.

Why do I do these things? I think it's just that I'm a skinflint. I

don't
even
like HT roses that much, and most of what I bought are HTs, and grafted,
and...

Mark., plenty of room for them, mind you