Old 10-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Tin Ear

Default [IBC] Deadly Cold

"Michael Persiano" wrote in message
Friends:

Many of you undoubtedly are encountering unprecedented cold, particularly

in
areas where temperatures do not normally delve below freezing.

It is CRITICAL that you review your list of specimens and determine if any

of
those now frozen trees require additional protections. These protections

may
relate to the following:

1. Burying the trees in mulch and constructing a wind break (to prevent
freeze drying).
2. Moving specimens for outdoor positioning to a cold garage or cold

shed.
3. Placing trees under a white co-poly plastic covered growing bench.
4. Simply moving trees to a more protected area.

The list goes on. If you are uncertain about the potential threat to your
trees, contact an experienced practitioner in your area.

This is a deadly cold, and your trees must be properly protected.

Wow, this group is psychic! I am a newbie and have moved my Juniper into the
garage for a while. Temps here in Pittsburgh, at least my area, have been
almost 0 F at night and single digits for a daytime high. I was wondering
if, when it warms up above 20F or so, if I can just move the tree back out
or do I need to do this slowly. BTW, the tree does get sunlight in the
garage, but not the direct sun I understand my tree likes.

It's my first bonsai, a commercial purchased tree, and I'd like to learn to
take care of it properly before I start from scratch.