Old 10-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Deadly Cold

Friends:

Many of you undoubtedly are encountering unprecedented cold, particularly in
areas where temperatures do not normally delve below freezing.

It is CRITICAL that you review your list of specimens and determine if any of
those now frozen trees require additional protections. These protections may
relate to the following:

1. Burying the trees in mulch and constructing a wind break (to prevent
freeze drying).
2. Moving specimens for outdoor positioning to a cold garage or cold shed.
3. Placing trees under a white co-poly plastic covered growing bench.
4. Simply moving trees to a more protected area.

The list goes on. If you are uncertain about the potential threat to your
trees, contact an experienced practitioner in your area.

This is a deadly cold, and your trees must be properly protected.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Tin Ear

"Michael Persiano" wrote in message
[...]

Wow, this group is psychic! I am a newbie and have moved my Juniper into the
garage for a while. Temps here in Pittsburgh, at least my area, have been
almost 0 F at night and single digits for a daytime high. I was wondering
if, when it warms up above 20F or so, if I can just move the tree back out
or do I need to do this slowly. BTW, the tree does get sunlight in the
garage, but not the direct sun I understand my tree likes.

It's my first bonsai, a commercial purchased tree, and I'd like to learn to
take care of it properly before I start from scratch.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 1/10/2004 2:33:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Wow, this group is psychic! I am a newbie and have moved my Juniper into the
garage for a while. Temps here in Pittsburgh, at least my area, have been
almost 0 F at night and single digits for a daytime high. I was wondering
if, when it warms up above 20F or so, if I can just move the tree back out
or do I need to do this slowly. BTW, the tree does get sunlight in the
garage, but not the direct sun I understand my tree likes.
TinEar:

Listen up: do not place this tree outside in an unprotected environment at
20-degrees Fahrenheit. Junipers require protection, and in this instance you
are allowing an unprotected root pad to freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, etc., by
moving it from the garage to the outside. Excessive freeze-thaw cycles will
kill your tree.

Keep it in the garage for the winter. Move it out for the growing season.
While it is in the garage, be certain that you do not overwater the tree and
introduce root rot. Insert a chopstick and remove it periodically to determine
the water content in the soil. When the below-soil-level portion of the
chopstick is on the dry side (not completely dry), thoroughly rewater the tree.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 1/11/2004 7:36:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Liam wrote:

In article ,
(Michael
Persiano) wrote:

Many of you undoubtedly are encountering unprecedented cold,
particularly in
areas where temperatures do not normally delve below freezing.

If only! I have heard that some US states are having cold winters, but
over the Atlantic, if you add up all the days we have had cold days, it's
about a week. That's not even frosty days - just slightly colder ones.
It's been quite cold in Scotland, especially the north, but not in
southern England.

I seriously think whether we're heading towards a mediterranean climate.

Liam

Not here. Last week we were lulled into thinking that it would be a mild
winter,
but the last few days have taken care of that. I have -5 here this morning.
We
have a couple of days of relief coming, then back to the cold for the rest of
the
week.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37
Hi Craig:

We will all find out how well our wintering methodologies work. );-) We
have been as low as -4-degrees Fahrenheit by morning in my neck of the glacier.
);-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 1/11/2004 7:36:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Liam wrote:

In article ,
(Michael

Old 11-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Craig Cowing

Michael Persiano wrote:

In a message dated 1/11/2004 7:36:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Liam wrote:

In article ,
(Michael
Persiano) wrote:

[...]

Yep. Today and tomorrow are going to be ok here, but after that I'm going to throw
a tarp over my trees. They're mulched ok, and out of the wind, but I'm concerned
about losing smaller branches and buds. I was away Friday and Saturday so I hadn't
thought it would be this cold here, but I'm going to be more careful this week.

Craig Dowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 12-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Tin Ear

writes:
[...]

Thanks for the help. Your words came across a little harsh, but I'm not
offended. I've only been putting the tree back outside when the temp gets
well above 35F for an extended period. Just before this current freeze snap,
we had an unseasonable warm stretch. I brought the tree back into the garage
when it was near freezing outside and it's been there since then. I'd not
thought of using a chopstick as a gauge of how dry / wet the soil is, but
I'll give it a try. I waited until it was really warm and the soil seemed
very dry before I watered. My care package says to avoid water logging the
roots, so I've been careful about that.

Again, thanks for the help.

Cold, Cold, Cold Dave Hill United Kingdom 18 12-12-2010 01:29 PM
[IBC] cold cold in the north Andre Slivitzly Bonsai 0 15-01-2004 02:32 PM
Deadly Kudzu? DavesVideo Gardening 8 07-06-2003 10:08 PM
Deadly Vole Damage bthache Gardening 0 20-05-2003 09:08 PM
Millions Infected With Deadly Parasite Spread By Cats Cy United Kingdom 6 23-01-2003 01:22 AM