Old 11-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Deadly Cold

In a message dated 1/10/2004 2:33:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Wow, this group is psychic! I am a newbie and have moved my Juniper into the
garage for a while. Temps here in Pittsburgh, at least my area, have been
almost 0 F at night and single digits for a daytime high. I was wondering
if, when it warms up above 20F or so, if I can just move the tree back out
or do I need to do this slowly. BTW, the tree does get sunlight in the
garage, but not the direct sun I understand my tree likes.
TinEar:

Listen up: do not place this tree outside in an unprotected environment at
20-degrees Fahrenheit. Junipers require protection, and in this instance you
are allowing an unprotected root pad to freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, etc., by
moving it from the garage to the outside. Excessive freeze-thaw cycles will
kill your tree.

Keep it in the garage for the winter. Move it out for the growing season.
While it is in the garage, be certain that you do not overwater the tree and
introduce root rot. Insert a chopstick and remove it periodically to determine
the water content in the soil. When the below-soil-level portion of the
chopstick is on the dry side (not completely dry), thoroughly rewater the tree.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++